Now everybody has to cross their fingers....and toes.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Now everybody has to cross their fingers....and toes.

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:58 pm

As I reported in a post on the FW forum, today I was doing some filter maintenance and putting carbon into a couple of the HOBS. I bought some filter floss type stuff in a big sheet to replace regular old filter floss of the more cotton wool type.

On the Sewellia tank, I put two layers of that in the Aquaclear 150, then a filter media bag crammed with carbon and then a regular Aquaclear sponge on top. In the old Penguin filter on the tank there is no proper media insert, just the black plactic perforated backing. Behind it in a media bag was some old worn out and sludgey Almond leaves. I cleaned out the bag and put in fresh almond leaves.

Then I did a 50% water-change. About 3 hours later, I'm talking to Dr. Momfish on the phone and watching complete Sewellia mayhem going on. There's lots of chasing going on.

So while I'm talking to her, I creep over to the tank. The male zooms around behind the big tall intake sponge to where a female is sitting on the glass. He flutters around her and tries to kind of push her, then half gets on top of her. At this point, she breaks suction on the glass and the two swim upwards a couple of inches kind of wrapped against one another. He forces her against the sponge and then she kind of flicked away, but as she did I saw a shower of fine eggs. They were immediately sucked into the filter sponge though :?

I only saw this happen once. Casanova was chasing and displaying to all the females in the same way. SO....there's definitely something going on.
Who was it that saw a similar thing with their fish....I forget?

I'm wondering that if this is how they spawn...effectively egg scatterers, then it's possible that Emma's fish had eggs sucked into the filter and the young hatched in there rather than getting sucked in when smaller. I know tomorrow the Penguin is definitely getting a sponge put over its intake :wink:

Martin.
Last edited by Martin Thoene on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:08 am

Very interesting report indeed! Graeme and I were talking about this last Friday and to be honest, we were somewhat doubting that they might spawn like this. But to have a second report confirming the same thing kind of says there's probably something in it. The other person who said they saw this was l8p in Germany http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=3482 and http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=3409. :wink:
Most of my Sewellia lineolata stay on the right hand side of the tank where the filter intake is, and there is always lots of activity on the cobbles underneath this. The spotties however, rarely venture over to this area.
Fingers crossed for you, Martin! :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:16 am

Thanks for the links Emma. Yes, that's exactly what I saw. The eggs were very small and clear. Last night I was questioning myself as to what i actually saw. I was wondering if the fish disturbed some dirt or air bubbles trapped on the sponge. Now I'm more convinced that I saw eggs.

The tank light just this minuite switched on, so I'll go see what they're up to.

If this really is how they spawn, I think it's a very interesting departure from the more logical way that cheni spawn considering the natural environment. Mind you, if they did this in a strong current over a coarse pebble bottom, I guess eggs would drop into the interspaces. If they're adhesive they would stay put.

Martin.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:26 am

How interesting is this! We pondered on why. It now makes sense in a way (once pondered on) with the excellent images Emma has shown us from there natural habitat. Fascinating that in the wild they would probably let the eggs drift away and find a settlement for growth.

Total opposite from some other fellow Hillys. Amazing!

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:34 am

I took some water parameters just now:

Temperature 82.3F

pH 7.4 or 7.6 depending whether I use the low or high-range solution, so right on the cusp I guess.

dKH 5 (89.5ppm)

GH is out to lunch.....I think my test liquid has to be bad. I gave up waiting for a colour-change at 35 drops! That would be solid rock I reckon.
I tried another tank and the same thing was happening.

The water has a slight tannin haze from the Almond leaves.

There's less defined chasing around going on this morning, but they're still pretty lively.

Martin.

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:48 pm

... as requested... toes are crossed .... no sports tonight.

Viel Glück!

Wolfram

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:08 pm

Wow!

I guess you'll be checking the filter in two weeks.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:10 pm

No cannister in this tank. Any baby who goes into the HOBs say's "Hello Mr Impeller!"

That's why I've covered the intake strainers with sponge now.

Martin.

AwesomeCoolstein

Post by AwesomeCoolstein » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:13 am

I wouldn't give up on the eggs that went through the filter, I have a rivertank with an undergravel filter, and I see tubiflex worms that get pulled through and out the powerhead that look good. On another tank I setup a powerhead to skim the surface the tank contained guppies, and I saw some babies get pulled through and swim off without a scratch.

do you think the tannins form the new leaves may have set this off?

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:08 am

I think the trigger was possibly a combination of all the things I did. Emma has Almond leaves in her tank system and they are known to be used by fish breeders for that trigger purpose.

Martin.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:42 am

I was thinking this morning that the time I saw those two Sewellia sp. spotted at the shop going through that lengthy 'fight ritual' culminating in them going 'belly to belly' might not have just been fighting. They were rising up in the water together and because of the shallowness of the tank, sand was getting sprayed about with the flicks of their tails. Could have been more than just sand, as I did not get too close up in case I disturbed them. Here's the old thread: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=2796

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:26 pm

I just read through that thread again and I think I agree with Jim that you can see definite differences in the 'shoulder' profiles.

Oh, and btw...
Welcome to LOL AwesomeCoolstein :lol:
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

newshound

Post by newshound » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:40 pm

Martin
I think that most fish that breed in fast flowing waters/rapids might be egg "scatterers". I have spent sometime watching fish in a large north American cold rapids and that is what they do. The eggs get lost among the many rocks and the cracks in between.
I am not sure that all the eggs would be destroyed in the HOB. Time will tell.
A bigger question is if the sperm could reach them.
drain your pool!

AwesomeCoolstein

Post by AwesomeCoolstein » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:58 pm

shari2 wrote:
Oh, and btw...
Welcome to LOL AwesomeCoolstein :lol:
Thank you very much, I've been lurking for a while, but I've been thinking about the tannins as a trigger thing for a bit so It was time to ask about it.

I have a group of 6 Botia kubotai, which I LOVE, someday I'll get them to breed, but my current project is ottos.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:16 pm

WOW!! :shock:
How did I miss THIS thread!!
Very cool Martin!! Fingers and toes are crossed!!! I have been expecting to hear something like this from you for some time.
My new pair hang out in the back of the tank near the intake for the Emperor 280 HOB filter. I think I better start checking it out from time to time, just in case.
Good Luck, Martin!!!!! :D