clown loach with rubber band

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bsoucy

clown loach with rubber band

Post by bsoucy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:48 pm

One of my clown loaches has a small rubber band around it. I first noticed it two days ago. It seems to be swimming and eating fine. One of my plants was uprooted and the rubber band must have come off of the plant. The rubber band goes around the loach and is just in front of one of the front fins and behind the other front fin. Should I try to get it off? How do I get it off without causing more harm than good.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:36 pm

Catch the fish in a net and snip the band with scissors. Probably best if two people do it. One hold the fish down gently with the wet net while the other controls the scissors. Trying to slide it off the fish will be a greater chance of damaging the fish's fins.

Cut the band then put the net back into the tank, releasing the fish. Then retrieve the rubber band.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:26 am

and watch the spikes :)

angelfish83

Post by angelfish83 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:24 am

Yes they have spines under their eyes which are especially dangerous on larger loaches. If they feel threatened they stick out and are very very sharp- so keep your fingers away from the general head area.

Icewall42

Post by Icewall42 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:47 pm

Hehe I know it's probably a serious situation, but I think it's funny because I've had this happen twice to my loaches, and it's the silliest thing I ever saw. First I have a very big, fat Botia Helodes that had somehow gotten the rubber band past his stubby fins, so I saw this big loach girded by a little rubber band. Luckily it came off on its own and I immediately pulled the band out of the tank, realizing the danger it could present to my fish.

But later, another rubber band cropped up (I used them to hold my bunch plants together) and one of my smaller clowns (since given away... :( ) zoomed through the band and trucked around the tank with it like some sort of prize. That band also came off easily on its own and I removed that as well.

Watch out for those rubber bands! Sounds like the advice given is the best to follow.