Can I speed up the cycling process?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

sabresonic

Can I speed up the cycling process?

Post by sabresonic » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:16 am

Hi, Im sorry if this question has been answered before but I couldnt find it while searching.

I am wondering if there is any way of speeding up the cycling process. I am setting up a larger tank for my clown loaches, kuhlis, catfish (various sp) & dither fish.

The new aquarium is 137cm (length) x 60.5cm(front 2 back) x 58cm(depth) so about 450L, and I will be running new aqua one cannister filters.

My current aquarium is approx 220L with an aqua clear filter that hangs on the back wall & sits externally.

I have done lots of reading on the internet at various sites, and most sites suggest that it will take 30-60days, using one of several different methods available.

Now I dont want to sacrifice any fish if possible, so I am wondering if I can add say 1/4 of the gravel from the 200L aquarium & half the rocks, and some of the plants would I be able to add enough bacteria to start the process? and would this material speed up the process at all? How long would the process take (approx) if I used this method. It is also suggested that I could use the sponge filter material in the aqua clear filter to add more bacteria by suspending this in the water near the new filter intake.

I also was told by my lfs that some people add a dead fish to the new aquarium to help, one of my tetras died a few days ago and although this sounds gross I did freeze him just in case. But I can't find any references about this technique on the net.

I will be testing the water as recommended, of course.

So what do you recommend? I would love to have my new tank up and running as soon as possible, but in saying that no way do I want to be responsible for the premature and unnecessary death or unfair stress of my clowns, etc.

What techniques have others on this forum used?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Setsuna

Post by Setsuna » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:50 am

I also was told by my lfs that some people add a dead fish to the new aquarium to help
Unless I am mistaken, I'd say this is a very bad idea. If the dead fish you add to a new tank is carrying a bacterial or fungal infection or a parasite, you would be adding that straight into the new tank and creating problems before you've started.

If you were to put a dead fish into the new aquarium, you'd have to be 100% certain that the fish died of old age or was perfectly healthy and jumped.

Blue

Re: Can I speed up the cycling process?

Post by Blue » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:56 am

sabresonic wrote:Now I dont want to sacrifice any fish if possible, so I am wondering if I can add say 1/4 of the gravel from the 200L aquarium & half the rocks, and some of the plants would I be able to add enough bacteria to start the process? and would this material speed up the process at all? How long would the process take (approx) if I used this method. It is also suggested that I could use the sponge filter material in the aqua clear filter to add more bacteria by suspending this in the water near the new filter intake.
A vast majority of the bacteria often live in the filtration system so you might want to add part of your filter media as well.:) How long it takes to cycle varies. Just be patient.;)
I also was told by my lfs that some people add a dead fish to the new aquarium to help, one of my tetras died a few days ago and although this sounds gross I did freeze him just in case. But I can't find any references about this technique on the net.
Not advisable. Too risky to do so especially when most fish can transmit various diseases without your knowledge.

sabresonic

can i speed up the cycling process?

Post by sabresonic » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:57 am

Thanks for your comments.

I'm pretty sure my tetra died of old age, but I didn't want to go down this road unless it was a common practice, and it doesn't seem to be as I couldnt find anything on the web either, so my poor old tetra can be put to rest...which I would prefer. We picked him out cause he had lost his dorsal fin and I didnt want him to be left alone in the store.

I think what I really wanted to know was: does adding media and aquarium contents (gravel, rocks & plants) from the existing aquarium speed up the process considerably? or is there no real time benefit.

The reasons I ask these questions are that I have promised someone my current aquarium, lights, & filter, so I am trying to work out a rough date that they can take possession of these items... I had thought I would be more organised but I've taken awhile to set up my new aquarium... so now I need to rearrange the date, but if I could have done anything to shorten/quicken the cyling process I would have.

hemi

Post by hemi » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:49 am

toss all your substrate into the new tank
in doing so your new filter will get some bactiria into it
also put your AC filter onto the new tank
add your fish
and your good to go
id even say gravel vac the old tank into the new tank
i switch my tanks around all the time and dont lose fish doing it

you need a bio load into the new tank to speed up the cycle

or you could just buy bio spira
and your good to go

kimmers318

Post by kimmers318 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:28 am

I agree.....putting all of your decor/gravel/filter media into the new tank you are essentially transferring most of your bacteria from one tank to another. If possible just run the old filter from old tank alongside the new filters for new tank for a week or 2, you should be fine. I also have transferred aquariums, changed out substrates and cloned new aquariums in this manner. What you want is the good bacteria, and most of that is in filter and on decor. Set a date to do the change and do it all at once and all should be well. Then you can tell your friend they can take the old aquarium that evening or the next day. If for some reason you want to use a new or different substrate just put some of the old gravel into some type of mesh bag to set in the new tank for awhile as extra insurance. This works wonders, the few times I have had to use meds that hurt my biological filtration I would take gravel from another tank and do this and see my spikes disappear in under 24 hours.

newshound

Post by newshound » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:15 pm

keep it simple
run your new filter for 5 days in your old tank
when you do a W/C on your old tank add that water to your new tank.
then switch your new filter to your new tank.
boom your ready to go
add fish over the next few weeks.
drain your pool!

sabresonic

Post by sabresonic » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:19 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. They all sound like good ideas so I will give this a go and monitor the water quality closely. :D

newshound

Post by newshound » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:37 am

I would skip moving the substrate.
A- why disrupt your old tank
B- everything you need will be in the new filter if you run it for a week.
drain your pool!

Hell Fire

Post by Hell Fire » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:08 pm

I moved my fish into a spare large container with lid along with the filter etc etc and done it all in a day. My posts on here only a few weeks back. i moved all the old water across, the filter, plants, some of the substrate also and let it settle for a hour or so and then put the filter in. I had no problems at all. I had to do it this way due to the new tank having to go in the same spot of the old one. Took a whole day to do it but it all worked out fine.
STOP LOACH MISTREATMENT!

sabresonic

Post by sabresonic » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:53 am

I have taken your advice newshound and am running the first of my new filters in the old aquarium. There are hoses everywhere! My 200L tank is right by our kitchen & front door, and there isn't much room but it was certainly the easiest option as I won't be disturbing by clowns.

This will keep the move as stress free as possible for them. I have 3 more clowns now so it wouldn't be fair to stress them out while they are adjusting to a new environment and getting to know their new tank mates :D

I so wish that I had thought about adding a canister filter years ago, the clowns are loving it! It will be so cool to see them in the new tank with all that extra room & two canister filters and a river tank manifold.

Thanks heaps for all the input, once again I've learnt heaps from all of you. :D

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:48 am

As an added precaution I'd pick up a bottle of SeaChems Prime.

Its a very good product and I keep a bottle around and use it on each of my tanks weekly.

Here's the verbage from their website:

Prime™ is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime™ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime™ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels.Prime™ also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. Prime™ is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime™ will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water

The nice thing is that it converts Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites into a non-toxic form that won't hurt your fish, but at the same time allows your biofilter to develop naturally plus it helps with the fishes slime coat. I use it both as a preventative and when doing water changes.

Cheers,

Kevin