Medication

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fishccer

Medication

Post by fishccer » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:57 am

Hi all, I'm new here and have popped in to pick your brains :D I suspect a possible internal bacteria problem with one of my shubunkins who shares a tank with my 3 weather loaches. I have never had to medicate before and am unsure whether Interpet No 9 would be detrimental to the loaches. I was going to move the shubunkin to my quarantine tank and treat him there but I have (unexpectedly) got baby zebra danios in there from when my danios were quarantined before going into the main tank. It may not come to medication as I may just be a bit paranoid about the shubunkin, but if it does come to it, I don't want to harm my other fish.
All advice gratefully accepted, Thanks.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:03 pm

Hi, welcome fishccer

I do not know what the active ingredients are in the med you list. Generally it is better to treat in your quarantine tank, even if you have to keep the little Danios in a large jar for a week or so. (do not neglect them, add a sponge filter, keep the temperature stable...)

Make sure the water in the main tank and in the quarantine tank is as clean as possible, especially low in Nitrates.
Goldfish can handle a little salt, though most Loaches do not care for it. Again, isolating the Gold is the way to go.
Many medications can kill or slow the growth of the beneficial bacteria, so again, treating in a quarantine tank is preferred.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

fishccer

Post by fishccer » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:02 am

Thanks for that, if it does come to it, I will move the babies, if I can catch them!!! :lol:

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:02 am

I've never used any of the Interpet range of disease treatments myself, but the manufacturers do claim it is safe for all tropical, coldwater & marine fish species and also that it will not harm beneficial filter bacteria. They usually err on the side of caution if treatments are likely to cause problems for customers fish, so it should be ok, although I would still keep a close eye on things and monitor water quality just in case. I definitely wouldn't risk using it in a tank where fry were present though.

Good luck,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

fishccer

Post by fishccer » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:24 am

Just thought I'd give you an update. I was being paranoid about my shubunkin, he is fine so I didn't have to medicate with any anti bacterial treatment, however, the goldfish developed a fungus patch on his tail so I have been treating with Primafix since Monday. The patch is clearing up and there have been no detrimental effects to any other fish in the tank. Very happy :D