Back again

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Hell Fire

Back again

Post by Hell Fire » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:22 pm

Well im back after months of having a on off working PC lol1 Also been out the country for a while over to Canada!
My loaches are all doing fine, my band of 5 Zebra loaches are as naughty and up to tricks as always, and ive also got another band of 5 loches in another tank (4 tanks all in all)
Im just having one prob in one tank with hair algy!! Its high Nitrates but ive tried everything and nothings working!
STOP LOACH MISTREATMENT!

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:34 pm

Nothing worked here either. Filtering out the phosphates slowed its growth to more manageable, but I could not totally clean it. Nitrates do not seem to be relevant in my setups, even getting them under 10.0 did not have any effect.

The worst part is that it eventually spreads to other tanks unless one keeps the infected tank under strict quarantine rules....

Rocco

Post by Rocco » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:07 pm

Try getting a siamese algae eater to clean it up. I hear they like hair algae.

That is if you don't mind having a utility fish in with your loaches.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:57 pm

Welcome back, Hell Fire! :D Glad to hear the loaches are all doing well.

Have you measured the phosphate level in the tank with the hair algae problem? I'm betting it's off the scale. If you haven't already done so, get yourself a phosphate testing kit, and if the reading is high, start adding a phosphate removing resin to your filter (e.g. Rowaphos) and if the tap water is high in phosphates to start with, you might want to start using RO water for your water changes too.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.