Upcoming loach papers in MP&E

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Bagrus dude

Upcoming loach papers in MP&E

Post by Bagrus dude » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:25 pm

The following two loach papers are now in press for MP&E (Molecular Phylogenetics & Evolution):

Tang, Q-Y, H-Z Liu, R Mayden & B-X Xiong. Comparison of evolutionary rates in the mitochondrial DNA cytochrome b gene and control region and their implications for phylogeny of the Cobitoidea (Teleostei: Cypriniformes).

Šlechtová, V, J Bohlen, J Freyhof & P Ráb. Molecular phylogeny of the Southeast Asian freshwater fish family Botiidae (Teleostei: Cobitoidea) and the origin of polyploidy in their evolution.

I have access to pdfs, but let's not spoil the surprise.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:35 pm

When the surprise is over, can you send me the pdf's? Please and thank you!
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Bagrus dude

Post by Bagrus dude » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Sure thing.

shari

I'd second that

Post by shari » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:02 pm

I'm sure there are several of us who'd like to read them. Myself included :)
And thank you!

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:09 am

Sure we would!!

Much appreciated.

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:53 pm

I too would like to look at a copy of the pdf documents if possible.

Thank you very much.

Mike

Bagrus dude

Post by Bagrus dude » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:03 am

The papers are now published.

Tang, Q-Y, H-Z Liu, R Mayden & B-X Xiong, 2006. Comparison of evolutionary rates in the mitochondrial DNA cytochrome b gene and control region and their implications for phylogeny of the Cobitoidea (Teleostei: Cypriniformes). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 39: 347–357.

Abstract

It is widely accepted that mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) control region evolves faster than protein encoding genes with few exceptions. In the present study, we sequenced the mitochondrial cytochrome b gene (cyt b) and control region (CR) and compared their rates in 93 specimens representing 67 species of loaches and some related taxa in the Cobitoidea (Order Cypriniformes). The results showed that sequence divergences of the CR were broadly higher than those of the cyt b (about 1.83 times). However, in considering only closely related species, CR sequence evolution was slower than that of cyt b gene (ratio of CR/cyt b is 0.78), a pattern that is found to be very common in Cypriniformes. Combined data of the cyt b and CR were used to estimate the phylogenetic relationship of the Cobitoidea by maximum parsimony, neighbor-joining, and Bayesian methods. With Cyprinus carpio and Danio rerio as outgroups, three analyses identified the same four lineages representing four subfamilies of loaches, with Botiinae on the basal-most clade. The phylogenetic relationship of the Cobitoidea was ((Catostomidae + Gyrinocheilidae) + (Botiinae + (Balitorinae + (Cobitinae + Nemacheilinae)))), which indicated that Sawada’s Cobitidae (including Cobitinae and Botiinae) was not monophyletic. Our molecular phylogenetic analyses are in very close agreement with the phylogenetic results based on the morphological data proposed by Nalbant and Bianco, wherein these four subfamilies were elevated to the family level as Botiidae, Balitoridae, Cobitidae, and Nemacheilidae.

Šlechtová, V, J Bohlen, J Freyhof & P Ráb, 2006. Molecular phylogeny of the Southeast Asian freshwater fish family Botiidae (Teleostei: Cobitoidea) and the origin of polyploidy in their evolution. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 39: 529–541.

Abstract

The freshwater fish family Botiidae is represented by seven genera on the Indian subcontinent and in East and Southeast Asia and includes diploid as well as evolutionary tetraploid species. We present a phylogeny of Botiidae including 33 species representing all described genera using the mitochondrial cytochrome b and 12s rRNA genes to reconstruct the phylogenetic relationships among the genera and to estimate the number of polyploidisation events during their evolution. Our results show two major lineages, the subfamilies Leptobotiinae with the genera Leptobotia and Parabotia and Botiinae with the genera Botia, Chromobotia, Sinibotia, Syncrossus, and Yasuhikotakia. Our results suggest that two species that were traditionally placed into the genus Yasuhikotakia form a monophyletic lineage with the species of Sinibotia. A review of the data on the ploidy level of the included species shows all diploid species to belong to Leptobotiinae and all tetraploid species to Botiinae. A single polyploidisation event can therefore be hypothesised to have occurred in the ancestral lineage leading to the Botiinae.

Bohlen, J, A Perdices, I Doadrio & PS Economidis, 2006. Vicariance, colonisation, and fast local speciation in Asia Minor and the Balkans as revealed from the phylogeny of spined loaches (Osteichthyes; Cobitidae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 39: 552–561.

Abstract

We reconstruct the phylogeny of the morphologically diagnosable subgenera Bicanestrinia, Beysehiria, and Cobitis sensu stricto of the genus Cobitis from Asia Minor and the Balkans. We used the complete cytochrome b gene of 65 specimens in order to infer their evolutionary history in this zoogeographically interesting area. Our phylogeographic analysis did not evidence the previously suggested monophyly of the Bicanestrinia subgenus but revealed five monophyletic lineages in the area: the lineages Bicanestrinia I–IV including all species of Bicanestrinia plus the lineage Cobitis s. str. The monotypic subgenus Beysehiria from Lake Beysehir in Anatolia was closely related to the syntopic population of C. turcica and nested inside the lineage Bicanestrinia III. The strictly allopatric distribution of the four lineages of Bicanestrinia suggests that vicariance has played a major role in the diversification of Bicanestrinia. All analysed species of Cobitis s. str. from Asia Minor and Balkans were closely related to Cobitis s. str. from Central Europe, the Danube basin and the Caucasus, indicating at least two colonisation events into Asia Minor and the Balkans. A third, recent colonisation event led to the presence of C. strumicae, generally restricted to the Aegean Sea drainage, in the Danube basin. Besides the evidences of vicariance and colonisation events in the phylogenetic history of the genus Cobitis in Asia Minor and the Balkans, our analysis suggested also a rapid morphological evolution of C. bilseli in a lacustrine environment. Application of Cobitis mitochondrial cytochrome b clocks of 0.68% sequence divergence per million years (MY) suggest that the split between the five major lineages happened approximately 12.4–17.6 MYA, and according to the lack of basal resolution of this monophyletic group probably the split of all lineages happened within a narrow time window.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:28 am

What are the copyright etc... aspects of putting these papers/linking/accessing these papers (and others on the Loaches) directly on this website?

Andyroo
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Bagrus dude

Post by Bagrus dude » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:56 am

Since these are available only via paid subscription (both to the print and electronic version), the only way for most people to get at them would be if someone sent it to you. The copyright agreements vary from journal to journal, but typically, one is not allowed to post the files for download.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:09 pm

Please could you also send me a copy, HH?
Many thanks,
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Bagrus dude

Re: I'd second that

Post by Bagrus dude » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:01 am

shari wrote:I'm sure there are several of us who'd like to read them. Myself included :)
And thank you!
Shari, I need your email address.

gulogulo

Post by gulogulo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:40 pm

Can I get the pdf's please?
Thank You. :)
Current loach residents- 14 Pangio semicincta, 2 P. doriae, 4 P. myersi, 1 P. shelfordi, 5 P. anguilaris, 6 P. oblonga, 8 P. cuneovirgata 5 Chromobotia macracantha, 3 Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, 3 Gastromyzon species unknown

Bagrus dude

Post by Bagrus dude » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:11 am

gulogulo wrote:Can I get the pdf's please?
Thank You. :)
I need an email address. Cannot send them into thin air.

Lerdsuwa

Post by Lerdsuwa » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:06 pm

Can I have a copy of pdf please? Thank you very much. My email is lerdsuwa@ksc.th.com

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:21 am

A brief summary can be found here: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... p?news=912 for anyone who's interested.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.