New tank. Loach heaven!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

surgeon

Re: New tank. Loach heaven!

Post by surgeon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:17 pm

On another note. 1.5L of very expensive Purigen can barely keep up with the tannins so if you ever set up a scape like this be prepared for some hefty Purigen rejuvination (more than an entire bottle of bleach required!).

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:28 pm

surgeon wrote:Sort of related question...

I have a tiny yoyo loach. I bought a bunch around his size a couple of months ago when I set up the tankin post #1 (they have all since grown) and I assumed this guy had died as I did not see him for MONTHS but now he is out and comes to your hand for food and everything but he is very very small. Im 99% sure it couldnt be that the yoyo's bred as they are immature and they are loaches :) However I am at a loss to explain how he stayed hidden for so long or how his personality has completely switched from never being seen to fighting with a clown loach 100x his size for bloodworm out of my hand. Could internal parisites be the cause of his size? (Same batch as the other yoyo's that have grown just fine for months). Mutant?
just remembered but i bought 6 tiny rosy barbs a while back. Same size, 5 of them are about 2 to 3 cm in length and are FAT and the smallest about a third the size of the other five.
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:29 pm

surgeon wrote:On another note. 1.5L of very expensive Purigen can barely keep up with the tannins so if you ever set up a scape like this be prepared for some hefty Purigen rejuvination (more than an entire bottle of bleach required!).
why get rid of tannins. they give a wild touch to any aquaria. I would love tannins. i put wood in my tank but hardly any tannins :roll:
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

surgeon

Post by surgeon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:48 pm

ClownLoachSharky wrote:why get rid of tannins. they give a wild touch to any aquaria. I would love tannins. i put wood in my tank but hardly any tannins :roll:
Well plants don't really seem to like most of the light being absorbed before it gets to them :) All a matter of personal preference but me and the fish seem to like the clearer water.