Plumbing a river

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shari2

Post by shari2 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:45 pm

Beautiful! Can't wait to see the fish. 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:52 pm

Very nice layout LES.. It will look cool to have the plants show all of the movement.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:52 pm

Looking fabulous, LES... 8)

Have you and Susan decided on dithers yet?

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:07 am

Beautiful!! 8)

LES..

Post by LES.. » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:31 pm

Thank you for all the kind comments it means a lot to me :-)
Emma Turner wrote:Have you and Susan decided on dithers yet?
Not as yet, what do you have in stock? ;-)

I still like the Puntius gelius but Susan is not at all keen on them, i have just found a picture posted by Graeme of one his, maybe that will swing it but i'm sure more examples will help (hint, hint Graeme!). Other potential candidates are Rasbora borapetensis and Golden white cloud mountain minnows. There are a few danios out there that really look the part but we are a little concerned with them hunting down all the Cheni eggs and fry.

Unfortunately Susan is not that keen on small shoaling fish in general and prefers fish where you can easily recognise individuals, not many dithers fit that profile. I'm sure something will come to us :-)

LES..

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:04 pm

I would love to help LES.. but these little Puntius gelius chaps are shy and timid. I cant seem to capture any good pictures of them. I'm not sure that these would like the river-style tank set-up Les. Mine always stay below the filter current or away from it.

Another option could be the Inlecypris auropurpurea for the river tank Les. These chaps grow to around 2 inches and love the upper levels. I've never seen mine venture to the lower levels of the tank. Perhaps potential breedings on the substrate will be fine and not a free food source. Emma has these in stock also! Here's one of mine.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:16 pm

Oooooh far too many potential candidates to mention, LES..! :lol: We do have Rasbora borapetensis in stock, but these are weeny, no more than 1.5cm at the mo.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

LES..

Post by LES.. » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:02 pm

Argh!

*Ahem*

Thank you for the information Graeme, Susan will be glad to hear that Puntius gelius are off the list of options. Those Inlecypris auropurpurea are just stunning, i am incredibly lucky to have access to such experienced fish keepers who can provide pointers on all the beautiful fish that i now desperately want to keep. :-)

I suspect we will end up wandering around Emma's for a few hours arguing over what we want as dithers.

I added the rest of the plants to the tank today and will post some more pictures in a day or two once things have settled.

LES..

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:54 pm

Beautiful tank 8) I second the Inlecypris vote they really are stunning wee things.

LES..

Post by LES.. » Sat May 05, 2007 7:33 am

Just one new image of the tank today.
A bit of an odd mix of plants at the moment, a number of them are just temporary to get them growing before adding to the old tank for the goldfish to destroy. Having several weeks of just plants in the tank has got me used to what the maintenance will be like, the large sponge guard is easy to remove and replace, a quick rinse in the old water gets it nice and clean. It is a lot more water to change than i am used to, I suspect that more frequent small changes are the way to go with this tank.

The current inhabitants are just 3 Amano shrimp, two juvenile P.Cheni a single Sinogastromyzon wui and several hundred snails that came free with the plants.

The overall flow in the tank is good although the spray bar return from the filter currently causes a rolling effect in the tank. The positioning of the large bits of bog wood does concentrate the flow to an extent that there are areas of back flow but i am exceptionally happy to see the general flow speed over the surface of the wood stays very high for half the length of the tank. The two Cheni that are in there love it, naturally the Wui is taking maximum advantage of all the gaps between the stones to hide :-)

I am looking to move over the rest of our Cheni this weekend. There is a little concern with just how well insulated the wood lid of this tank is, with it closed and the lights on the temperature shoots up to 28C, a little high for the Cheni. Working out the wattages, 62 watts of pumping power seems to be able to maintain the tank at 3-4 degrees above ambient lighting adds 1-2 degrees with the lid open and another 3 with the lid closed. Normally i suspect fish keepers would be very happy to see such a thermally insulated tank but it is not what is desired with hillies. I suspect i will have to shut off one of the pumps during the summer months. This may be the filter (at 20w) and simply move the media into the space behind the partition. Not particularly efficient but an option given the design.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat May 05, 2007 9:26 am

Beautiful, Les!! Nice job!!

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat May 05, 2007 2:48 pm

Wow! :shock:

That looks amazing! Excellent job Les! 8)

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Sat May 05, 2007 2:52 pm

wow is right, i love that wood you have in there!! thats what i've been looking for forever!!

cant wait to see pics of all your hillies!

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Sat May 05, 2007 3:54 pm

Wonderful! I like the half sand, half gravel and all of the nice looking rocks. You are making me want to try live plants again after many years without them.

Spankenstyne

Post by Spankenstyne » Sat May 05, 2007 6:32 pm

Wow stunning tank!