And so it begins...and gets finished!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

janma

Post by janma » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:56 am

Thanks everyone.

Do you mean mean l/h, Keith? Theres two pumps with 3500l/h each, which I doubt. Will get me some Eheim pumps later, these are noisy.
-Janne

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:50 am

hi janne
it might be a stupid question this, is the back wall synthetic or a flat piece of stone.?
i think in one post that you had talent, mate thats an understatment.
your an artist, and i can't keep my eyes of your setup.

congrats on the setup
mick

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:58 am

At the beginning of this thread you show the diagram of your pumps behind the false wall. Earlier you had questions about pumping power, etc, so I was wondering how well the water movement has turned out.

I really like how your background extends above the tank and your waterfall is amazing.

janma

Post by janma » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:07 am

Its made out of glass fiber and coated with something and painted. Ordered it from a shop, the manufacturer is Aquarock and based it Germany. It was really easy to work with and stays down, weighted about 6kg.

Im satisfied with the water movement, the stone-spraybars worked quite well. The current goes toward back and the big rock. Seen some Sewellias surfing :)

Thanks again for the feedback. Didn't turn out exactly as planned, was a nervous wreck yesterday. But starting to love it.
-Janne

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:41 am

Somehow I missed this thread. That is a beautiful tank....unlike anything I've ever seen. What talent we have on this forum!!!!

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:22 pm

I´m really excited about your excellent cliffhanger picture - I knew it - saw them climbing up inside plastic bags, and up the glass. They do it very rarely, but they do it without jumping motion...

Now you face the challange of designing some climping aids, a little rucksack with some goodies in it...

Enjoy 8)
Wolfram

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:39 pm

So where can you get the aquarock?

That looks really cool.

Kevin

clownloachfan

Post by clownloachfan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:50 pm

what plants do you have besides the moss balls?
ImageImage
Clowns-6 is a group and more is never too many, providing the aquarium is large enough.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:50 pm

8) :) 8)

JonGuerriero

Post by JonGuerriero » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:46 pm

That's a great tank!!!! I especially love the waterfall. I have a 20 long in my basement collecting dust and now I have all sorts of ideas in my head, although if my fiance sees me setting up another tank she may no longer be my fiance....can I blame it on you if she complains :D

Seriously though, that's a GREAT setup. I also see a future fish keeper in the pictures....nothing wrong with starting them young 8)

janma

Post by janma » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:13 am

The idea of the waterfall came from when I moved last time and when emptying the tank I put a outlet pointed down along the glass and saw climbing. And also had a bad experience when one loach climbed out from the quarantine tank when I forgot the lid off :( And it was at least 10cm high from the water level, so these fish can really climb, even without water.

I got my aquarock from a shop in another town, but check out the website http://www.aquarock.de/. It's in German, but the pictures are nice :)

Other plants are Pogostemon helferi and some Java moss that was stuck to rocks. I had allot of plants which I took to the LFS and realized that some moss on the waterfall would have been nice, also would make it quieter.

I added more pics at: http://picasaweb.google.com/janma79/NewRiver The last picture shows that "petting" the fish isn't possible anymore, had some problems with someone liking the fish too much. :lol:
-Janne

shari2

Post by shari2 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:28 am

I love the tank. 8)
Is the light suspended?
and i can see how the little one 'petting' the fish could be problematic
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

andre

Post by andre » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:47 am

Nice setting!!!! Only one thing I don't understand, how do you prevent the fish to jump out?

janma

Post by janma » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:39 am

Its suspended with a suspension kit.

There are only hillies in the tank (with 3 small pit bull plecos) and they don't jump. They would climb if there wasn't a lip on the tank and at the left side there is some mesh to prevent them using the back wall to climb out.
-Janne

andre

Post by andre » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:38 pm

janma wrote:Its suspended with a suspension kit.

There are only hillies in the tank (with 3 small pit bull plecos) and they don't jump. They would climb if there wasn't a lip on the tank and at the left side there is some mesh to prevent them using the back wall to climb out.
Very clever! Good job, really impressive!