clown coloration

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Wendie

clown coloration

Post by Wendie » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:41 am

I saw a shoal of clowns in the local fish store yesterday that were an overall dusty yellow in color rather than the white color of the ones I have. I would assume that they must be from different regions but which is which. Will their colors change or remain that dusty yellow color? Which is normal or again does it depend on the area?

suya1

Color of clowns

Post by suya1 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:03 pm

Wendie,

I think the clown loaches come in a few different colors. I have one and it is orange colored with the typical black stripes. It kind of reminds me of a tiger. I think the yellow color is the natural color. Did you ask the fish store owner where the clowns came from?

Suya1

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:13 pm

You might find this link helpful:
http://www.loaches.com/markings.html

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

barbara

Post by barbara » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:02 pm

speaking of clown color....i've just recently noticed that the dorsal fin edge on some of my clowns is reddish-orange just as their pectoral and other lower fins are (sorry too lazy to review my anatomy of fish fins)...i'm wondering if it is due to the omega one color flake that i've been feeding. usually the dorsal edge is faded whitish....anyone else notice this coloration on the dorsal fin edge?
slogan for the day: things may not be what they seem.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:06 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll ask the LFS when I pick up my tanks next week. In all the years I've seen clowns these had the most dusty yellow color that I have ever seen.

I've been using the chart to determine where my guys came from. I got them from two different stores but they look like they came from the Borneo area/farm.

Desi

Post by Desi » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:06 pm

Barbara I feed Omega-one foods but not color enhanced ones. My clowns dorsal edge is whitish and not orange so it must be the color enhancement part of that food cause its definately not the omega one alone. I do see brighter colors in some of my fish after I started omega one foods but not to that extent.

barbara

Post by barbara » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:31 pm

thanks for sharing your observations desi. i'm quite interested in how much ALL of my fish like this flake...super color flake. i've used several omega one foods before including several flake foods, a couple of types of pellets and none has been so popular as this one. i guess i need to look more closely at the ingredients to see what in the world they are so wild about.

i was really amazed at this orange edged dorsal though....i also note in another tank of loaches that the kubotai and probably also the rostrata have their lower fins (still haven't looked...pectoral? and ??) quite reddish as well...of course they always are a bit colorful in those fins but this seems possibly accented. even the s. eupterus who are fussy fussy fussy eaters....preferring only bloodworms (frozen variety) were going after this flake once i offered some to them.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:17 pm

You have to think of it this way Barbara. Imagine yourself as a fish. Your pectoral muscles would be connected to fins in place of your arms.
Either side of your pelvis, you would have pelvic fins. Sort of love-handle area if you have.........oh never mind :wink:
I won't carry on to the next logical fin because thereabouts human anatomy ain't quite the same :?

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

barbara

Post by barbara » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:13 pm

martini...: ) you may have love handles but not moi!!

okay i finally did a search to see where my confusion lies....the anal fin..one of them post anus. then pectorals by the gills....i guess i can see those as arms...sort of. pelvic...right before anus/birth canal...okay. so all fish have all these...even all loaches? you know i don't keep kuhlis or some of the other less common ones...your what are they called river whatevers? should i read the text for the book??? lol....i've forgotten everything i once knew or thought i knew. old age is hell. and it isn't pretty either.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:37 am

I think I learned ventral fin instead of pelvic, is that old school? ( And my adipose area isn't a tiny fin near my tail :roll: ). Anyway I think I'll try some omega color flakes although my fish are more goumand than gourmet :lol: .
Nancy

barbara

Post by barbara » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:21 am

NancyD wrote:I think I learned ventral fin instead of pelvic, is that old school? ( And my adipose area isn't a tiny fin near my tail :roll: ). Anyway I think I'll try some omega color flakes although my fish are more goumand than gourmet :lol: .
Nancy
you know i think i learned ventral as well...i kept trying to remember a v word....

and applause to your sense of humor!! : )