algae

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

buster

algae

Post by buster » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:04 pm

Hi,
I've never had a problem with algae before. Tonight I noticed
what looks like reddish algae on one of the filters. I do regular
water changes about 50% weeky and 30% every 3 days. What i would like to know is if this algae harmful what causes it, what can I do to get rid of it, does it effect amonia levels.
Thanks,
:shock:

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:38 pm

In general algae is not directly harmful.
A few exceptions:
Blue Green Algae can be toxic.
Algae that covers the plants can kill them.

Most often algae is helpful:
Algae removes nitrogen (mostly as ammonia), and many other elements that are fertilizer. This helps the tank, not hurts.
Algae can usually be eaten by the fish. Not all fish are great at eating it, especially the sorts of algae that stick on pretty much flat to the glass and equipment.
Minute critters lumped together under the term 'infusoria' live on the algae, and form a great food source for fry and some adult fish.
Some shrimp are particularly noted algae eaters.

There is a group of 'Algae' that is actually Diatoms. This sort of algae is most common in new set ups, glass tanks and tanks with silica based sand as a substrate. Diatoms utilize silica in their body structure. Mostly this sort of algae looks brown in an aquarium.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

buster

algae

Post by buster » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:53 pm

Thanks ,
I feel better now. :)

MoonPye

Post by MoonPye » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:11 pm

Diana wrote:

There is a group of 'Algae' that is actually Diatoms. This sort of algae is most common in new set ups, glass tanks and tanks with silica based sand as a substrate. Diatoms utilize silica in their body structure. Mostly this sort of algae looks brown in an aquarium.
AH HA!!!!!!! I just had a light bulb moment, again Diana, thank you for sharing your knowledge. Now I know what the brown stuff in my sand tanks are. (Which the plecos are happily eating so I'm not so concerned about it anymore.)
~Monica in NEPA ~ We got Dojo Mojo!
Mom to 3 humans, one dog, one cat, and many fish