got some levamisole HCL from the vet,but confused

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fusQer

got some levamisole HCL from the vet,but confused

Post by fusQer » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:47 pm

so from reading http://www.ausfishforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61138, i found the dosage to be 1ml per 7liters which is about 30ml per 55 gallons. i went to the vet and asked for 150 ml and he said how many mg. i said all i know is 1ml per liter and he said that tells him nothing and he needs to know how many mg/ml. he told me to double check the dosage and meanwhile gave me 1.0 cc/ml of the solution, saying it was 150ml. im really confused and dont know what to do or how much to put in. he said this is one treatment and to do it half dosage morning and night and watch the fish. he said to figure out the dosage and come back for the rest. someone help!

barbara

Post by barbara » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:25 pm

ah yes this is a confusing issue. i don't know if this helps or not but being a metric moron i will give you what i have here and how i've used it and perhaps your vet or you can do the calculations...

i bought a 500ML bottle of levasole....when purchased, it is virtually an empty bottle with a tiny amount of powder that is in the bottom of it...the powder itself is said to weigh 0.712 ounces or 20.17g....now when water is added to the 500ml line THEN i used 2 teaspoons of the mixed liquid for each 10 gallons of tank water. what that dosage amounts to in ml i have no idea but i did remove it after 24 hrs by a 50% water change only. no carbon. my fish did fine....in fact i think it did help them heal as i was using it as an immune system booster not a dewormer....they had flexibacter.

i hope this helps.

and to emphasize: when bought, this container is virtually empty...just a tad of powder in the bottom to which one adds water to the 500ml mark and then measures out the dosage....as i say i used two teaspoons per 10 gallons of the tank water.
barbara
slogan for the day: things may not be what they seem.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:00 am

I happen to still have a post-it stuck by my computer with info from various LOL forums on levamisole dosages. It comes in at least 3 forms so miligrams/gallon (or liter) is the only way to go.

1) 20-50mg/gal

or

2) 10mg/liter 48 hours x 3 treatments

or

3) 7.6 to 38mg/gal for 24 hours

or

4) I think this is what Barbara used:

20.17grams of powder in 500ml water, so 40.34mg/ml
(note a bit sketchy says both 1 teaspoon/5gal and 1 teaspoon/15gal, just different dose rates I guess)

HIH
Nancy

barbara

Post by barbara » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:25 pm

thanks for adding those treatment details nancy...i've not seen all of them...now to copy to somewhere that i won't forget!!
slogan for the day: things may not be what they seem.