Nuts ´n´ Trash (today's pictures)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:21 am

Very nice, Wolfram 8)

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:25 am

I´ve been working a little on my prototype setup, changed filters (to the ones that will be used in the final tank) and put one outlet on the left lower corner of the front glass – pointing slightly down (to the right front corner). This way I received a nice flow, that´s not too high for most fish, but enough for some surfing loaches and also automatic vacuuming of the floor. My sand is almost too fine and shows any even tiny piece of “dirt”. At the right corner the flow is directed upwards, thus involving the upper water areas without creating a lot of surface movement (in my setup it´s avoided). some water flowing via the front-back channels to the back of the tank – where the remaining flow brings the dirt to one filter-inlet on floor level. The inlet of the slow flowing biofilter is remaining in the upper 3rd, supporting the flow there. This way I´ve flow-channels to support loach-needs and I´ve brook movement in the area where the plants grow their leaves, the stems are not bothered by the flow. So far that channel across the entire front glass is visited frequently. In regards to canyon type flow channels, I will stick with that idea as it compromises with plant´s needs.

In the video you see a little piece of root floating by (beginning of 2nd half of the video) indicating the moderate speed. Also staring the smaller sewellia male bugging his lady, as well as S. Balteate, Goby, Amano shrimp.and the nose of Y. Caudipunctata (who tries to chase them away from one entrance of his cave, see extra short video).

There is quite a loss of light during transfere of the video, the sewellias are much brighter in the original. The very last video shows sewellias flirting I used the email converter (only about 1MB), so you may need to get close to the screen, sorry

Wolfram

andre

Post by andre » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:39 am

Wolfram, what amazes me about your tanks is that since you have natural light an the water is so clear fish seem to float in the air and fly for one container to another one.

I never seen anything like that before. It is really entertaining.

Thanks for sharing!
Last edited by andre on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:40 am

I just noticed there is no real difference in quality between the first 14MB upload and the 2MB one. Am I missing to set some switches, or do all videos get compressed that much?
Wolfram

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:56 am

Thanks andre, I think the slow flowing bio-filter does a good job, it´s the slime coating that the bacteria coat themself with, which may make filters sufficient, too intense cleaning may disturb the effeiciency. I never vacuum the substrate and clean filters only when flow gets lower or other reasons suggest cleaning (mainly the slow flow filter is left alone). Currently I do fight a little with diatoms that grow on the glass and disturb vision, I´ve started with K2Co3 addition, as that may be my missing plant food - and have installed a bigger filter and will see how much I need to claen that one (the previous small one needed biweekly and the fraction of aquarists I belong to finds that far too frequent). Good plant growth aborbs much of the Nxx. I´m still working on my formula though ... still needs improvement... my Nitrate an Phosphate tests BOTH went bad at the same time, so my readings were wrong, ... so everything one more time... I hope that´s the explanation of the algea growth... will see and report...
Wolfram

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:06 am

I love watching these chaps! 8)

wasserscheu

drip-drip

Post by wasserscheu » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:35 pm

On my planned larger tank, I want something something to automate waterchanges. More likely a continuos watersupply, that makes waterchanges less necessary.

Today I found some old pipes and stuff, so I spontaniously built a prototype for test purpose, using my current setup.

The principle seems to work, I need to add some safety items redo with better proportions and clean the sytem up. I´m showing a video of it, even though I did not clean the tanks for 2 weeks (except waterchange and filter flush), it´s almost embarrassing to show my temporary installation and it´s mess – but I want to show that it theoretically works.

The tap water drips into the bio filter and gets pumped via external filter to small-tank#1, from there it gets pumped with the little black internal pump into small-tank#2. All three tanks + biofilter are waterbridged (with caps to avoid larger fish plugging them up). There is also a waterbridge-pipe for the fish to travel just for fun (that pipe is not functional – only testing which fish like to travel). In this video a Garra Flavatra is sitting in the top portion of the swim-through pipe.

The blue sponge is the cap for the new drainage – the German DIY sponges are blue … don´t ask me why…

With that current dripping rate that may turnover about 300 liters per week. I´ve been drip-filling some buckets during the past weeks to get a feel.

One problem still is, that the drip rate slows down during hours, I already installed a 2nd valve which was an improvement, but looks there is some built in stuff, avoiding dripping taps (deflecting gaskets?!). With the onehand-tap of the bathtub it was easy to adjust a steady dripping rate.
The good thing with the tanks standing in the construction area, is that I do not need to be all that carefull with water getting on the floor.

Wolfram

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Looking good!

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:13 pm

That looks like fun. Looks like the prototype is moving along nicely.

Cup

Post by Cup » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:49 pm

You folks really know your beer. I love those planters.

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:22 am

Thanks, it felt a bit awkward posting my mess ;-)

Last night I only had a gallon turnover, even though dripping was similar to previous bathtub tests, which typically brought at least one bucket/night. If I increase, I get too much flow (loosing too much C02) - looks like a one-hand tab is needed. I don´t understand though, as the drop size is normally always the same, set by physic. Law (1ml makes about 20 drops, I measured it). Nervously I checked everywhere, but found no leaks, no water on the floor – must be, that the fish did drink it

I´m following my master Chefkeith with waterbridging, except my bridges are just pipes, I really like your design and setup, Chefkeith.

I now can make up a chart, which fish react in what manner, when getting to the small tank. One little Kuhli, which made it through the caps somehow, buffles me the most…it moved between the tanks already 4 times. Others are very uncomfortable with the arrival in the small tank, … one Garra declared the small tank his territory… one Striata checking each inch of way during it´s travel, as if it wanted to double-check my design – it was very interesting to watch. This particular Striata was very comfortable going back and forth. Other Striatas and one 2” clown did not cope well, were not appearing happy and never did it again. All fish so far, found the way back by themselves within one day. My small Sewellia male did go back and fourth the pipe a couple of times, spent a lot of time in the pipe, once taking a round through the small tank it very relaxed and secure went back through the pipe. The normal brown Ancistrus female (3”) was the first one commuting happily and enjoying her peace of mind in the small tank. In the meantime, some traffic jams occur in the pipe.
Wolfram

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:34 pm

Fish like swimming in pipes like yours better than the clear water bridges I have. I started off just using white pvc pipes and the fish loved those, but I didn't like them because they were ugly.

Then I switched to clear pipes, which wasn't as popular, but did look better. Then I switched again to the clear acrylic bridge that I have now.

My next water bridge design would have fewer reflections and little light. I'd probably try building them with plywood and epoxy paint, with a glass viewing window in the front. It might be a few years before I give the new design a try though.

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:24 am

very interesting observation, perhaps wrapping some dark cloth or paper around parts of the transparent waterbridge, may make it a more comfy tunnels for loaches.

Do you have the feeling your friends go throughb the bridges on purpose or just get in there more or less incidentally? I have both happening, by now its the Garras often 3 of them in the small tank and at least one Striata that frequently vistit the small tank on purpose. Most others are not seen in there anymore, except that small kuhlii. I´ve heard that fish only have 5 second memory in regards to orientation?! That may change though when combined with food-location...

I´m on a 2 (large) buckets per night rate now, but need to readjust the tap occasionally, as it still slows down dripping.
Wolfram

wasserscheu

above water

Post by wasserscheu » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:07 pm

just a little update, … some gardening necessary in one small tank

so I took 2 Echi´s out and transferred them to the other small tank

the new center leave often turns out really flashy (mostly with good Fe content, but never more than 0,15 mg/l)

many of them blooming nicely, the flowers last only one day, but there are plenty plants, so there is often some nice good morning greeting …

growing larger than usual, typically I have 3,5cm, this one reached 1,5”

also unusual are 5 rows, the most I got so far was 4

Those guys were watching me, I had to get the camera and was surprised, they stood still for the pic.

talking about plans. I´m looking at pipes of about 4” diameter (still looking for even bigger ones). They wall thickness is almost too thin, but they have spiral reinforcement, similar to some of my green pipes with white spiral. That could just build a Tunnel system on the floor (outside the tank :lol: ), or work as waterbridges, coverd with some cloth maybe…

Pyama party

Normal party

Last edited by wasserscheu on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfram

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:59 pm

Wow! :) Amazing. I want to travel to Muenchen to visit your fish.