Clown Loach tankmates?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Red_Arokh

Clown Loach tankmates?

Post by Red_Arokh » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:22 am

:) Hello,
I am new to this forum. I was wondering if any of you guys have advice on what kinds of fish I can safely put with my clownloaches. I used to have some cichlids (convicts, parrots and firemouths) in with them and they were fine until the loaches started getting to big for their hidy-hole and spending more time napping in the open. After a while two of my loachies got really sick so I got rid of all the cichlids because I could see they were bothered by them. Unfortunately I lost one. My favorite to.......*sigh* :cry: His name was Tiny-Tim. Anyway, my other three (Boomer, Spot, & Quinta) are happy and healty with lots more larger places to sleep in. Just wondering what you guys would recomend. I have 5 giant dannios and 2 tiger barbs in the tank still, but I was looking for something that would go with them and not bother my loaches. Something colorful maybe?
"Raise not thy voice in anger, lest the sleeping dragon wake."

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:50 am

try getting some more clowns and more tigers as they like to be in bigger groups.
how big is your tank?

Red_Arokh

Post by Red_Arokh » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:08 pm

My tank is a 55G. Would my clown loaches accept new loaches if they are somewhat smaller than themselves? My largest is about 3 1/2 inches and my smallest is about 2 3/4 inches. :lol: The ones I see in the stores are 1 1/4 inches or smaller. I've seen them as small as 3/4 of an inch. I did have three for a long time and then I got one that was half their size and they actually brought food to her while she hid for two weeks. lol But that was when they were a lot smaller. I have had them for about 2 years so I don't know if they would accept newbies anymore........... What do you think about getting rid of my giant danios and my tiger barbs and getting gouramis? My tiger barbs are 1 1/2 inches and its hard to find some that size and not pay an arm for them. Can you think of any other kinds of fish that would go with the danios and tiger barbs? What size tank will they need when they outgrow my 55G. And don't tell me as big as I can afford. I need to know what size to shoot for in the future. If I have more than three will that mean I have to get an even bigger tank? Thanks in advance. :wink:

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:39 pm

Hi Red_Arokh, I have a similar set-up with 6 3-4 inch clowns & 8 (used to be 10) tiger barbs in a 55gal. I planning to move them to at least a 125g, hopefully a 180g. in the not too distant future. It's usually o.k. to add smaller fish (after 3-4 week quarantine of course) to an existing group but larger may cause a power struggle. Years ago we had giant danios but weren't that crazy about them, no personality & suicidal jumpers, so I'd skip them. They swim so fast they'd probably be better in a bigger tank, just my opinions. The barbs need to be in a bigger group I'd say at least 6 others say 8-10 minimum if you want to go with all orange & black fish. I think a big group of all 1 kind of dither is better than 2 or more smaller schools so either barbs or danios would be my preference.
Nancy

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm

diff sizes shoal.
i don't realy now what the size should be.i've never kept clowns as i have no money for the bigger tank.
i would give the barbs back if you are getting no more. can't think of some good options. i sopose neons or cardinals would be alright.

Red_Arokh

Post by Red_Arokh » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:26 pm

Hello NancyD, :D
I am open to getting more clown loaches. Every now and then I see one really bizzar one that fits my fancy, but I never got them because I was afraid the others would bully them or hog all the food or some such thing. In fact I have one that has four stripes!!! How many would be to many for a 55G tank? Like I said before my loaches are between 2 3/4 inches and 3 1/2 inches. If I didn't have my tiger barbs or giant danios, what sort of dither fish would you recommend? I kind of fancy some of the more colorful gouramies. Would they be ok?
Thanks a bunch! :o

MaryJ

Post by MaryJ » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:38 am

My Loaches have lived with just about all non-aggressive fish. They were in with tetras and cories until I moved them to a bigger tank. Now they live with Dojos,Phantom tetras,African Dwarf Frogs, Flounder and a mix of others. :lol:

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:51 am

It's been a long time since I kept gouramis but it seems like they like fairly calm water (for their bubble nests) & clowns like faster current. The fins are targets for fin-nippers like tiger barbs & serpae tetras. As far as dither fish go a lot of people keep rainbows or rasboras. I tried silver tipped tetras but they were disappointing, some actually hid in caves with the loaches :roll: . The idea of dithers is to make the loaches feel secure enough to come out during the day so you can see them.Thats why a school using most of the tank lenghth is good, the loaches can see other fish & feel safe (cherry barbs i.e.are too solitary IME) They need to be able to handle the 80-84F temps clowns need, too hot for many (rosy barbs, white clouds). Everyone's experiences & preferences are different as are individual fish, read lots, see whats available. Maybe search "dithers" in archives. And save your money for a big tank :wink: .
Nancy

Red_Arokh

Post by Red_Arokh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:40 pm

Hey MaryJ,
Thanks for the information. Could I put a small dojo in with my clown loaches? :shock: Would they bully him or try to eat him? Also, what do you think about putting a ram cichlid in the tank with them? I have heard they are really shy and can go in community tanks with tetras and stuff. Is this true? Any and all oppinions welcome. I have a 55G so there is plenty of space and hidy-holes.
Red_Arokh 8)

Red_Arokh

Post by Red_Arokh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:50 pm

Hi NancyD,

You seem to know a lot about clown loaches. :shock: How long have you been in the fish keeping hobby? I have had my tanks for about 3 years and my clowns for 2. I sure do love my loachies!! I am thinking about getting some more tiger barbs. I have two regular ones that are about 1 1/2 inches right now. Can I get some that are smaller? Will they make it or should I get same size or bigger? I might get some more giant danios to...... not sure. The danios I have are actually quite pretty. Their bodies are a pinkinsh tinge with blue-green shine when the light hits them just right and the males have red on their bottom fins. But all the ones I see in the store are so drab for some reason. Can I mix diffent colors of tiger barbs and still have them school together? Also, what do you think about me adding a ram cichlid or two? Would they compete with the loaches for hiding spots? Any and all suggestions welcome!
Red_Arokh :wink:

ClownMob

Post by ClownMob » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:06 pm

the rams wouldn't compete for hideouts, hang out more in the open water than in a cave. a couple of rams could work, but they are so skittish not sure if the boisterous clowns would bother them cause they just act so nervous all the time.

have you considered a mid-size cichlid like a blue acara or firemouth? Ive got a FM that gets along okay with my clown gang, and have heard of acaras being kept with them as well, acaras are pretty fish.

just some thoughts for ya, good luck with new additions. :D
ImageImage
75g O'clown environment

Red_Arokh

Post by Red_Arokh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:10 pm

ClownMob,
Would the rams be bothered by the tiger barbs or the giant dannios? I have tried semi-agressive cichlids before and they got a long for a year or so, but when the loaches started getting to big to all squeaze into their hidy-hole they hung out in the open and the cichlids (convicts, firemouths, parrots) harrassed them horribly. I heard that the rams are shy and can be put in community tanks. I love cichlids but they can be so unperdictable. :roll: I don't want to get more cichlids and have them be fine and then all of a sudden get in fights and severly injure another fish. I would like a high probability that they will not hurt/harrass anyone. Know what I mean? :wink:
thanks,
Red_Arokh
Here is a picture of the cichlids I used to have with my clown loaches.

ClownMob

Post by ClownMob » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:14 pm

understand what you're saying about the cichlids, can be unpredictable fellas indeed.

the rams would definitely be worth giving a try, pretty little fish. not sure how he would react to the tiger barbs checking him out, but they would probably get used to each other okay.

I've got a ram in a little tank with little mates, and "nervous" was just a good word that desribes them, thats why I was wondering how he would get along with larger fish.

could try the rams for sure, might take them a few days to adjust, hide in a corner and so forth, but it wouldn't be any killing or anything if it didn't work out, rams just might stress and stay on the floor all the time or something, and you could return them. just note that it indeed might take a few days to tell, I moved my little ram to another tank and he fretted in the corner for 3-4 days before he relaxed.
ImageImage
75g O'clown environment

Red_Arokh

Post by Red_Arokh » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:36 pm

ClownMob,
Thanks I just might try the rams after all. How many different kinds of rams are there? Are some more aggressive than others? :( Do you know the names of the different varieties? I am also thinking about getting rid of my tiger barbs and giant dannios and moving my 3" angel fish into the 55G with some of my larger mollies. Would rams be ok with angels and/or mollies? Does size matter in this situation?My angel has been a little fiesty lately. He is doing a lot of chasing....... He isn't hurting the fish, at least not that I can see. Maybe he is getting to big for the 29G? Would like any and everyones opinion!
Red_Arokh

Tery

Post by Tery » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:06 pm

just a thought, your danios may be a lot prettier because of what you are feeding them and lack of stress. I personally like cherry barbs but could never find any at a lfs that were the deep neon red that mine are until I tried "scales & tails" . The owner told me that it was the food, not the fish, and so far that has proven mostly true.