Loach Book Party

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

Loach Book Party

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:26 pm

The new book Loaches: Their Natural History and Aquarium Care was conceived on LOL some four long years ago. Many of the contributors have been fortunate to receive their copies already so we feel that a party is in order.

We're going to meet on the Loaches forum on Friday, December 21st, on or about 11pm GMT - that's 3pm PST, 6pm EST which covers most of us. Hopefully this will work out for most posters. It will be just after midnight in South Africa, Saturday mid-morning in Australia, but I think our friends in Thailand will still be in bed.

Nevertheless, hopefully all the contributors to the book and all their friends can gather here for a celebration of this group effort.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:59 am

I won't be here at that time, but cheers to everyone that will be. I'll send some loachy dancers in my stead.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:50 pm

Where are they ck? We need a picture. 8)

Enjoy your evening. :lol:
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Ola

Post by Ola » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:43 pm

Sorry for leaving the party before its started, but CHEERS to everyone and thank you for a wonderful book!!! It is even better than I thought it would be!

Thank you, I say bowing humble.
/Ola

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:13 pm

Just wanted to stop in and leave kudos to all involved. I received my copy yesterday, and have been enjoying it (when I can wrestle it from Stuart!)
It's a beautiful volume and a obvious labor of love. Thank you so much for this work of art! 8)

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

barbara

Post by barbara » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:30 pm

glad to know my senility has not waned. i just checked and see i misrembered the start time of 6 EST...it's been 5 in MY mind all week. well another half hour...i don't think i'll be around...maybe it's good that i remain disappeared for another week or so....i have electricity up in our new house tonight for the first time so you can perhaps guess at what my priority is right now. we'll see...the water change is almost done and then i'm out of here. have fun!
slogan for the day: things may not be what they seem.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:31 pm

I still have a hard time looking at it objectively - but books are like that. Maybe in a year I can pick it up as if it were someone else's book.

But I am pleased that it is so jammed with information. My eternal gratitude to Jim, Martin, Barbara and Mike for supplying such good text, and to Shari for making it better than it was.

Oh - and to Igor, whose original introduction got mangled by late changes in the taxonomy, but make an integral part of the book.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:32 pm

barbara wrote:glad to know my senility has not waned. i just checked and see i misrembered the start time of 6 EST...it's been 5 in MY mind all week. well another half hour...i don't think i'll be around...maybe it's good that i remain disappeared for another week or so....i have electricity up in our new house tonight for the first time so you can perhaps guess at what my priority is right now. we'll see...the water change is almost done and then i'm out of here. have fun!
Glad you stopped by at least. It must be nice to have juice up at the house finally.

barbara

Post by barbara » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:39 pm

Mark in Vancouver wrote:
barbara wrote:glad to know my senility has not waned. i just checked and see i misrembered the start time of 6 EST...it's been 5 in MY mind all week. well another half hour...i don't think i'll be around...maybe it's good that i remain disappeared for another week or so....i have electricity up in our new house tonight for the first time so you can perhaps guess at what my priority is right now. we'll see...the water change is almost done and then i'm out of here. have fun!
Glad you stopped by at least. It must be nice to have juice up at the house finally.
i've been away all day so i've not experienced it yet! thus my being anxious to get up there and plug in my computer and whatever else needs charging...daily we need to come here to new sharon to do chores like that.

anyway since we're in an appreciation mode...i am continually amazed at the work you and martin did to get everything all together. i've not really looked closely at the book due to time constraints but do notice the truth of what you said about things being changed. my main regret is that it seems the levamisole info that i got good help from Tom W and his vet acquaintance on plus gabi's original info was not included (at least not that i've noticed so far). oh well i've heard shari has written something here so at least the subject is covered somewhere. btw, i also appreciate shari's work and that of jim, mike and robin. peter of the ich notes said when he saw the book (i told him about the link on amazon so he could preview the copy i'm sending him)...oh a REAL book! i thought that was wonderful!

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:55 pm

D'oh! I forgot to mention Robin! There were too many of you to keep track of, I think...

Yes, the publisher takes a certain distance with recommending medications. To some extent, they're right in stressing the need for quarantine, but it's a shame they had to gut the medication section that you worked so hard on. Still, I think the book will send a lot of people to this site - and here they'll get decent information.

We'll supplement the book!

andre

Post by andre » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:58 pm

Still haven't received the book but thank you guys for all the great amount of information provided on both loaches and the rest of the human affairs.

I'm having great fun in reading the posts too. Great bunch of people!

It's nearly 1am here and it's time to go to bed

I'll read all your messages tomorrow.

Enjoy the party!

Andre

barbara

Post by barbara » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:59 pm

ooops i didn't notice you'd not mentioned robin. did i mention everyone? there ARE too many of us to keep track of. i guess i just supplied her name when i read your post....she was FIRST in and the standard the rest of us had to try to meet. i remember how impressed you were with her draft.

speaking of draft(s)....lol....had some really good beer in oregon....not that that's a new situation out there and there are some very fine beers here as well....oh but i digress....guess i will leave shortly but will check in again after i pack up our portable chargers, electric strip, and what else was i supposed to bring...? oh i'll remember...maybe.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Hmmmm its 6pm EST and where is everyone?
:?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:10 pm

I'm here and about to get changed into my Marge T-shirt!
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:11 pm

I'm still waiting for my Marge T-shirt.
I expected it before the books.