Id help

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

webbo

Id help

Post by webbo » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:23 am

Need some help identifying these. Went into my LFS recently and spotted these in a tank and asked what they were. They didn't have a clue but as they are also a wholesaler and importer, they were able to tell me they came in with a batch of hillstream loach. But as they offered me two of them free of charge I couldn't really refuse :)

They have the ability to suction to the side of the tank and have now been in my posession for 4 weeks. I have kept them in an small unheated tank since getting them for quarentine and they seem to be healthy. But don't have any idea if they are full grown or just babies, presently they are 20-30mm long.

Colouring that isn't clear in the pictures is that under the head is red spots. They also have the ability to turn their head.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:42 am

Looks like juvenile gobies of some kind to me. I'll let the experts chime in on this one. They are cute little guys, tho. 8)

And welcome to lol webbo. Would you mind putting your general location in your profile?
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:58 am

Looks like a white cheeked goby to me.
They used to be called Rhinogobius wui, but now the name is changed and I don't recall what it is.
I think you have a male and a female. The males are more colorful.
Its interesting you found them as a contaminant with hillstreams. Its usually the other way around.
Liniparhomaloptera disparis is almost always found in shipments of these gobies. As you would expect they like hillstream like conditions.
The will eat bloodworms and brine shrimp but show little interest in flakes or other prepared foods.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:59 am

They look like Rhinogobius Wui or a related species to me.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:39 pm

Its now called R. duospilus.

webbo

Post by webbo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:43 am

Wow thanks people, I have spent weeks trying to identify them, should have known to hurry and get the pics to post on here.

Have now moved them to my main tank (subtropical), for the past 4 weeks they have been living on flake food but they were extremely fussy with it. Refusing to touch it once it was on the bottom and only taking it as it floated down.

Once thanks for the help.

A further question if I may I have a couple of Pseudogastromyzon cheni you can see pictures of them here http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight= which have never shown any interest in each other apart from one always chasing the other off a particular rock. That is until today there is a big hole now next to a pebble and they were in close proximity to each other. I suspect this may be some sort of mating ritual can any advise?

However they are in the same tank as a couple of wether loaches which I am pretty sure will garantee no yound survive, so not sure if there is anyway to know when the young have hatched so I can move them out.