Single cichlid that would go well with loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

connor

Single cichlid that would go well with loaches?

Post by connor » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:03 pm

Hello *@*,

I am looking for a single medium-sized cichlid (~adult angelfish size) that would "fit" in a 300 L tank with 16 loaches without turning the aquarium into a war-zone.

Background: Right now I have 3 angelfish in the tank which used to get along with the loches and the high current quite nicely. This changed when I added 5 kubotais. They are very inquisitive (much more than my clown or zebra loaches) and are harrassing the angelfish almost constantly. I am planning to give them away into good hands so they can live in peace again.

I really do like cichlids though and would love to add a solitary (or pair, if necessary) to the tank again. I know that pretty much all the Malawi cichlids are out of the question .. so, what is left?

I obviously need a species which is a bit more self-confident than angelfish are .. while not being a bloodthirsty serial killer. :)
Marcos from Brazil has Jack Dempseys with his loaches, but I'm not sure if I am brave enough to try this, given their usual reputation. Maybe you can comment on this, Marcos?

Any suggestions are welcome!

-Connor

PS: Almost forgot: pH ~7.2, 7-10° dGH, 6° KH
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Slough Shark

Post by Slough Shark » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:24 pm

Maybe Convict Cichlids (as long as you don't put a pair in there), they can hold their own against Oscars even, so they should have no problems with your loaches, but your loaches could have problems with them. Or, if you can find them, get some Honduran Red Points, they are nice little fish.

I would say, wait till Marcos gives his word on the JD, they are beautiful fish and have a similar temperament to the Convicts.

Hope this helps,
Taylor
30 Gallon Livingstone Falls Biotope:
- 4 Steatocranus casuarius

Gary Stanton

Post by Gary Stanton » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:53 pm

I have one Labidochromis caeruleus, four tiger barbs and fifteen Clown Loaches in a 100 gallon five foot long tank. The loaches are starting to catch up to the Labidochromis caeruleus in size. All this guy does is make the loaches unafraid to hang out in the open. Before they hid all of the time, now they come to the corner of the tank wanting to be fed whenever they see me.
No conflict whatsoever and the water parameters are OK for him.
"Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy."
-- Frank Zappa, speech to a pro-choice rally in Los Angeles around 1989-90

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Keyholes are quite peaceful/ I have 2 males in a 3' long tank (46 gallon bowfront) with quite a community of fish.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:26 pm

Hi Connor,
If you wanted to keep the tank on an Asian theme, have you thought about Etroplus canarensis? http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary/sp ... canarensis
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:24 am

I havent had cichlids other than a green severum before, and they seemed fairly passive in my tank. I had a pair and sometimes the pair would squabble but never saw any aggression with tankmates. Here is an old pic of mine.

YellowFinned

Post by YellowFinned » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:29 am

Can't over-recommend any Geophagus.

Melgrj7

Re: Single cichlid that would go well with loaches?

Post by Melgrj7 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:13 pm

These are one of my favorites: http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/c ... icarag.php

That picture does not do them justice, they are quite gorgeous when mature (not much to look at when young though). And they are fairly peaceful, but will hold their own if needed. Their face turns blue, very pretty.
www.aquariphiles.com - where i blog about aquariums.

Rubix

Post by Rubix » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:41 pm

i believe marcos keeps a large dempsey with his loaches (clowns, kubs, etc)

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:54 pm

mamaschild does, too. (the Jack D)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

OHFISH

Re: Single cichlid that would go well with loaches?

Post by OHFISH » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:38 pm

Hi Connor,

I have a 75 gallon (284L) tank with 9 Clowns ranging in size from 2" to 8". These co-exist with 1 Electric Blue Jack Dempsey and two regular Jack Dempseys. They all get along fine. The JDs are about 3".

They are a lot of fun to watch interact. The EBJD will try to school with the loaches. The smaller clowns have a tendency to run their mouths along the sides of the JD and the JDs do not seem to mind. The regular JDs do not try and school, but do tend to hang by the loaches.

My two 8" clowns tend to be oblivious to all the craziness of the smaller clowns and JDs

When the lights are off in the evening, the JDs tend to rest quietly and do not seem to mind the activity of the clowns.
OHFISH