Sidthimunki spawned

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Graeme McKellar

Post by Graeme McKellar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:11 am

Congratulations Mark, I have alwys thought you tank with 36 Sids was amazing and have always dreamed of doing it myself but this has really made me decide to do it. I agree with Jim and Emma that large numbers of fish of one variety could be needed for spawning to occur. Thanks for sharing your great news with us all and I suppose you are keeping a "good-eye" on them in case they get fisky again. Cheers Graeme.
"I want to speak with many things and I will not leave this planet without knowing what I came to find, without solving this affair, and people are not enough. I have to go much farther and I have to go much closer." - Pablo Neruda.

Botia Robert

Post by Botia Robert » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:21 am

Well done MD! Very Exciting! All your fish seem to be "up the Duff" at the moment! :lol:

bob d

Post by bob d » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:02 am

Congratulations Mad Duff, what an achievement! Now, like everyone else I'm sure, I'm wondering how I can rearrange my tanks to have a sids only camp. I wonder if I can get indian almond leaves here...........

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:13 am

Bobd if you can't get almond leaves try oak leaves they do just as good,

mick

bob d

Post by bob d » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:55 am

Thanks Mick, I'll keep that in mind when I sort the tank scene.

worton

Post by worton » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:14 am

Hey,

definitely a great achievement! :)

Regards.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:27 am

Congrats, Mark- cute little bitty guy in that last shot :D

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:45 am

piggy4 wrote:Well done Mark ! the youngster looks quite well developed ! makes you wonder how many fry didnt make it ? you must be very tempted to move all the other fish loaches barbs etc , i mean lets face it there could have been hundreds eggs/fry ! b t w your adults look amazing , every time i see your pics i say to Mick[thefish] i'm gonna have to try a Sidthimunki only tank , FANTASTIC !
Thankyou :)

I was very tempted to remove everything else when I stripped the decor out but It just wouldn't look the same without the harlequins and barbs :?

I am hoping to add some more Indian almond leaves soon exactly like I did before and then do a couple of cool water changes and see if anything happens, hopefully this time I will be able to get photo's or video and maybe even remove some eggs and raise some more young. It would be amazing to get actual photo's of young sid's developing :D

chefkeith wrote:Congrats Mark.

So are they cave spawners? My guess is that the flower pot caves and rocks make a well protected spawning pad. If you didn't see any eggs or fry, it sounds like they stay well hidden until they are big enough to protect themselves.

This also makes me want try some almond leaves for sure.
It is hard to say but personally I don't think they are cave spawner's, I think they may well have scattered the eggs under the 3 pieces of bogwood that are full of holes and features and under the bogwood is piles of cobbles and clumps of java fern and java moss. Thankfully there is enough in there in the way of hiding places for the young to hide in and get away from the adults until they have felt safe enough to emerge.
Last edited by Mad Duff on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:52 am

What dithers are in the tank?

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:00 am

Jim Powers wrote:What dithers are in the tank?
There is a mixed shoal of Rasbora heteromorpha & Rasbora espei as well as small groups of Danio choprae, Puntius gelius and Puntius pentazona.

There are also a group of Kuhli loaches in there as well as 8 Mesonoemacheilus guentheri, the one amazing thing is that I cant say that I have seen any fat fish which would have indicated that they had eaten lots of eggs apart from the sid's which always look a bit porky :lol:

I am hoping the Mesonoemacheilus guentheri have got ideas from the sid's, I have two guentheri digging a cave out under a rock at one end of the tank and another two digging a cave out at the other end :shock:

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:03 am

Keep up the great work Mark. You never know! :wink:

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:28 pm

This loaches have much friends in germany, and in german forum users sometimes ask about breeding sids. Next time I will link your Thread :D

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:47 pm

Thanks Thomas that would be great :)

leokiss

Post by leokiss » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:01 pm

Mark,i wonder if the rasboras had anything to do with it,i think they used to share the same habitats in thailand up until all the sids disapeared.Maybe not ,just a thought!

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:03 pm

That would be fantastic if you got more spawnings. I must say I am surprised that you had survivors with all the other fish in the tank.
Keep up the good work!!!