can you name this loach?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Thomas

can you name this loach?

Post by Thomas » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:32 am

here is a pic of a loach which I have never seen before. I bought it last years summer

It is not really important, because it died after a week in my tank. In the shop it always lay around, also when it get some hit from one of the small garra's in the tank.

Maybe someone know something about that fish

during i search for the photos, i've found this one too. It show the unknown loach in the background, and one of my Nemacheilus ornatus and the savona-loaches

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:44 am

Hi Thomas. This Schistura looks similar to the Spotback Loach (Schistura notostigma) from Sri Lanka. I cant be sure though. Did it always carry the light body colouration? Fishbase have a picture. In our species index, we have the wrong picture for the Schistura notostigma. It shows a Schistura savona.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/sc ... notostigma

http://fishbase.fishinfo.cn/Summary/Spe ... p?id=12269

Lovely looking Nemacheilus ornatus! I wish i could find these chaps over here. :?

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi thomas , this is a guess , but to me this fish looks like a Crimson loach that hasn't adjusted to its surroundings yet !
Hi Graeme i'd have to go against the Notostigma label , though not so common these days Notostigma used to be quite common , as were the other Sri Lankan loaches N.Botia [uropthalmus ], L.Thermalis , the only Sri Lankan loach as far as i am aware that never got exported were Lepidocephalus Jonklassi ! for some reason i dont think they could keep them alive for any length of time , plus they were classed as ultra rare !
B t w Thomas nice pics :D

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:08 pm

Did it always carry the light body colouration?
Hi Graeme, i would say yes if I remember correctly.

The caudal was not really convex, more a line. But not concave, and I've never seen a Schistura without a concave caudalfin. I'm unsure wether it was a Schistura...But I have naturally not seen every Schistura... :D

Is the appearance of the caudale of every schistura the same? Or are there schistura with convex caudal? I have not seen so much of them. Mostly my own :)
the only Sri Lankan loach as far as i am aware that never got exported were Lepidocephalus Jonklassi ! for some reason i dont think they could keep them alive for any length of time , plus they were classed as ultra rare
Yes, thats right. Gerhard Ott had some jonklaasi a few years ago, but I don't know if he have some at this time.

tattooedgemini

Post by tattooedgemini » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:26 pm

if he was mine, i'd name him sherman...j/k...lol
i am super mom!...to the kids and the fish...lol

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:42 pm

Maybeschistura shermani :D