Aquaclear 50 (402) Powerhead, Do I need the bubbles?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

redshark1

Re: Aquaclear 50 (402) Powerhead, Do I need the bubbles?

Post by redshark1 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:06 am

Well what am I doing replying to such an old thread? Its just that I have tested out the last question and have an answer.

My Clown Loaches breath much slower (that is the gill covers pumping the water) when I have the venturi bubbling away on my powerheads.

So, I have learnt to love the bubbling sound and my Clown Loaches are happier (at least to my eyes).

Interestingly, the bubbles are a good indicator of the flow that my powerheads are achieving. The bubbles soon reduce as the powerheads become blocked. Mine are gradually blocked by smaller pieces of gravel and other debris so I need to clean them monthly or when the bubbles reduce.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:12 pm

Huh, that's interesting redshark. I haven't kept clowns or any botias lately...But it seems my loaches liked to play in the current sometimes. I had canisters & HOB filters to roil the surface for oxygen exchange. My non-venturi powerheads were placed lower so not so much for oxygen but for swimming fun. I'm always sorry I haven't bothered to put a sponge over the PH intake. That would keep plants & snails from clogging it up...

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:05 am

Hi NancyD please remind me what you are keeping in your aquarium hobby now?

I can say with confidence that bubbling puts a lot more oxygen in the water than simply having surface movement without bubbles.

But some surface movement seems to be an important part of an aquarists success though it needs to be organised carefully for species that do not like flowing water.

I guess even in wild stagnant waters wind and rain will disturb the surface and prevent a bacterial film growing in many situations.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:11 am

I only have sewllia lineolata for loaches these days, I have a powerhead half way down in 1 corner, no venturi air bubbles, too low to be effective. The loaches breed once a year for the last 6-7 years now, just a couple fry each time...but I'm good with that, no effort on my part.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:57 am

On a Dutch forum, which does not exist anymore, a member once calculated the effects of bubbles.

These do cause movement on the surface, but the thing is, they have gone com 20 or 30 cm through the tank before reaching the surface.

Going through the tank, they do give oxygen to the water, and in fact, they give more oxygen to the water in this phase then the movement does.

I have tanks with pumps and with airlifts, and I am really surprized how much the little movement does in terms of oxygen.

Now the thing is - does oxygenating the watter to 100 % suffice for current dwelling fish? I think it does not. Fish from currents do need a current in their tank, in order to keep them busy - without current they turn out rather naty to each other. Furher, chances of bloat are deminished by current.

Therefore, current is very important, but it is not the best way to getto 100 % saturation with oxygen.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:32 pm

I guess I was thinking of airstones vs powerheads or even HOB filters, not venturi PHs, for better oxygenation