complete newbie here

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mkoff32

complete newbie here

Post by mkoff32 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:52 am

Hey all, I need some direction. We just bought a house and are finally getting settled in. I want to put an aquarium in the basement. I'm actually an avid newt/salamander keeper but haven't kept fish since I was like 12 (and really my mom did all the work!). I fell in love with clown loaches after researching them... but also discovered that they might not be the best for a beginner and need a minimum tank size of 75 gallons. I am going to start with a 55 gallon and would like to keep some type or types of loaches. Any advice on what kind of loaches are good for a beginner to keep in a 55 gallon? And possible tank mates?

Thanks!

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:03 am

I'm a beginner too. In fact, I haven't even got the tank yet but I have done a lot of research for what I would like to keep and what could work as a nice combination.
I've decided I want to keep B. histrionica ( http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-histronica )with a small number of C. siamensis, which is the siamese algae eater (not a Loach).
My choice for histrionica is mainly because they are more active during the day. We have some at the university and they are really nice fish!

What I did was just to go through the list a bit... http://www.loaches.com/species-index/species-index
It's a good way to see what species there are and what appeals most to you. I personally like the Botia-species best.

mkoff32

Post by mkoff32 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:26 am

Thanks for the reply! I'm really liking the Botia kubotai myself.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:40 am

Absolutely a very beautiful fish!
Check out Y. sidthimunki ( http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ya ... idthimunki ) you might like that one too. It's a more expensive choice (although kubotai is expensive around here too), but they're great.

Whitey_MacLeod

Post by Whitey_MacLeod » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:54 am

Hey mkoff. I'd say kubotai are a great choice- a 55g is big enough for a reasonable sized group of them and they're very entertaining fish. I've got some myself, and they're one of my favorites. You could keep other Botia species such as B. histronica, B. striata, B rostrata. These species need an aquarium with lots of hiding places, a soft substrate and high levels of flow. Good tankmates for Botia include rasboras, small to medium sized barbs and rainbowfish. http://www.loaches.com/articles/an-intr ... ping-botia

Another option would be kuhli loaches- these like lots of plant cover and less water movement. They like to burrow in the substrate, so I'd recommend a sand bottom to the tank. Good tankmates for these would be small, peaceful fish- small tetras or dwarf rasboras for example.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-kuhlii

If you want something a bit more unusual you could go for a river-tank setup with hillstream loaches. Take a look at this article: http://www.loaches.com/articles/hillstr ... -fast-lane
Hillstream loaches need cooler, very fast flowing water and should have a good supply of algae in the tank to graze on. Good tankmates would be danios, white clouds , some species of barb and rasbora, or maybe some gobies if you want something different.

All loach species need very clean, well filtered water conditions and high levels of oxygen. Given the right conditions most loaches aren't difficult fish to keep, as long as absolutely top-quality conditions are maintained. Loaches aren't generally considered beginner fish, but if you research the right conditions for the fish you choose and keep up with regular water changes (at least 25% weekly- more is better) and tank maintenance you should do fine.
Fast and bulbous!

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:14 am

Check out the fishless cycle to get the tank started. No fish are harmed in cycling the tank!
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:14 pm

Setting up a new fish tank should be done slowly, IMO. There's no reason to rush. With all loaches, you need a fully cycled tank, so take your time.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:27 pm

The plans for my future tank are on the same line. I plan to start it up and let it run for three weeks or so before I add the first fish, which will be the dither fish (Danio's or so). After adding those I will wait for some time again untill I'm confident the water quality is stable again and add the second group of fish, wait again, and finally the last group.
It will take some weeks to start it up like that, but I hope it will prevent any problems with the water quality. It's after all a miniature ecosystem you're starting up, that requires patience and balancing.

mkoff32

Post by mkoff32 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:54 pm

Can tiger barbs be kept with Botia kubotai ? I've read several horror stories about tiger barbs and their fin nipping.... However if I were going to keep a barb, I really like their look...

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:05 pm

Go with cherry barbs, or possibly pentazona. As for loaches either histies or kubs are excellent choices. Striata are also wonderful in every way.

adamrf1126

Post by adamrf1126 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:05 am

I have 6 striatas, and love them. They are always active, and seem very hardy, and easy to keep. I would definitely recommend some of those.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:59 pm

I'll second Mark's comment, just for emphasis. Take your time. Once your tank is set up, you won't be changing it all that often. One of the most enjoyable aspects of fishkeeping (for me) is the setting up of a new tank.

Stock planning, aquascaping, and so forth should be thought out ahead of tiime as much as possible. If you don't fishless cycle you have to give careful consideration of what fish you initially put in the tank and how much time you have available for water changes/monitoring. Get your stuff together. Tests, ammonia absorbers, water conditioners, dedicated buckets, etc.

Enjoy the pre-fish stages as much as the settled tank you plan to keep. It's like creating a living work of art. 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

tattooedgemini

Post by tattooedgemini » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:23 am

i agree with everything that shari said. i love setting up new tanks
i am super mom!...to the kids and the fish...lol