Hello again

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

LES..

Hello again

Post by LES.. » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:02 am

Hi all,

Seeing as i posted a question to the freshwater section i thought i should post an update on our main tank. Looking back i was very surprised to see it has been half a year since i last posted and a very mixed half year it has been. We have lost a fair number of fish, it all seemed to start when one of our Annamia normani disappeared not long after i posted the pictures of them dancing. We never found a body for that one but a few weeks later one of the Sinogastromzon Wui started to hang around in plain sight, never a good sign and it died a few days later. Over the next few months we lost another S.Wui, 2 Rasboras and most painfully watched 2 more Annamia normani waste away with a skinny type disease. The Annamia both took a very long time to pass and whatever they had was not cured with levamisole or myaxazin :-(

The tank also seemed to hate me, we got swamped with brown beard algae due to excessive phosphate in the water. Once we started to get that under control the cyanobacter found a way in :-( still not solved that one. The actual manifold design still seems to be holding up though. I have now got into the habit of switching the large sponge guard in front of the pumps every couple of water changes which only takes a minute to do. The removed sponge gets pressure washed and is then ready for use again. Very easy to do.

After all the losses and battles with algae the tank seemed to settle and all seemed well until our largest Rasbora decided to jump out of the tank for no apprent reason. This leaves 3 S.Wui, 1 Annamia, 3 Rasbora and 9 adult P.Cheni and 3 amano shrimp in the main river tank.

I think one of my last posts showed a picture of our alpha cheni looking very beat up, he did recover well and i think he is responsible for a massive spawning we experienced before Christmas. We had been catching the just hatched fry and placing them in a breeding net before moving them over to another tank to grow on, we lost count of all the fry we caught and it was only when we moved them to the new tank that we counted 30 fry in there. However he has now gone and got himself all beat up again, silly fish.

I must get some up to date pictures :-)

LES..

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:48 am

Nice to see you back Les :)

Sorry to hear about your problems, hope you get them all sorted soon :(

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:12 am

Yes, it is good to hear from you LES.. I too am sorry to hear about your difficulties and hope that you have it straightened out now.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:50 am

Welcome back Les! 8)

Chin up old chap!! I'm also sorry for your loses.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:57 am

This is so spooky, I was going to post a thread today asking if anyone had heard from you or Susan recently! :shock:
Anyway, I'm very sorry to hear of your losses, but the large brood of P. cheni babies is wonderful news. 8)
Good to have you back,
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:13 pm

its good to hear from you, but sorry to hear about your bad experiences. i hope it all looks up for you both now.