Velvet would be more of a yellow coating and not spots. I usually look for spots on the tail or fins with ick.
Arrggh. I see what went wrong. I actually recommended and myself use Ich Guard at half dose (the package does say not to use with small or scaleless fish). Somewhere on the net there was a discussion of IG vs IG2 with complains that IG2 is too slow.Wendie wrote: I finally spotted a few small white dots on the tail and immediately began a treatment of Ick Guard II (recommended by Mikev) for scaleless fish. It took forever - only a couple weeks actually - to clean them up but it did
I am posting again for advice as I still have velvet in my tank. My alpha clown loach's head is covered and I'm just about out of ideas. This started when I converted to a planted tank, you may remember. Nothing but disappointment since then I initially started treating sometime during the last two weeks of April by slowly raising tank temp to 88 degrees F. and my Coralife 9 watt sterilizer alone. I realized it was likely not enough to kill parasites in my 55 g. Started to get nervous using heat alone after a few days, so on April 31 I did a 40% water change then began using Rid Ich by Kordon. Completed 10 days of Rid Ich, no change to the fish. Another 40% water change, then moved on to using an old bottle of the original Maracide formula I still had. Was afraid to use an old bottle of meds, but didn't know what else to do. Had had good luck with old Maracide in the past getting rid of ich. Had just enough for the 5 day treatment. Noticed a *possible* lessening of spots, hard to tell for sure. Doing alot of reading through forums for info on treating velvet on scaleless fishes, not a *whole* lot of info there. I believe it was cybermeez ? who recommended Paraguard. Sounded safe, so ordered some of that and am on day 2 now. Don't see any changes yet. Can anyone please advise what I might try next if the Paraguard doesn't help? I am fairly certain I could never catch this fish in order to dip it, it is about 5 inches long and FAST. Wouldn't want to stress him anymore than he no doubt is already. I've been keeping the lights off during the day. I should also mention I slowly adjusted the heat back to 83 degrees F so far. Was this the wrong thing to do? I won't even mention what my loaches have done to the new plants I added (yes, I give the loaches cucumber or zucchini at least once/day)! That plus the lack is lighting is not pretty for the plants. Trying not to feel completely discouraged here. Can anyone help? Thanks and sorry for the super long post! Just don't know what else to do at this point
I've never treated Velvet.
Whatever treatment you decide to go with, just be careful in the mixing of treaments.. Loaches are VERY sensitive to treatments to begin with and when you mix them, God knows what it could trigger.
I have heard of a product called "Coppersafe" from Mardel Laboratories that is supposed to be quite effective at treating Velvet if that is indeed what your Clown has.. I am not sure but I think "Coppersafe" may be an oxymoron in that whereas it is supposed to cure Velvet, it is also supposed to kill all biological filtration.
I've never seen Velvet "in the flesh" so to speak, but I'm thinking if you get a digital camera picture up here on a reply, it may help someone who has, to better diagnose what's wrong with your Clowns.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 35 guests