Question for Owners of Large Clown Loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

TeeCeeJay

Question for Owners of Large Clown Loaches

Post by TeeCeeJay » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:14 am

In your experience,

At what age/size do the clowns develop their 'stretch marks' where the black bands start to develop a light patch towards the centre. (A la 'Marge', 'Basil', 'Stripes' etc)

Just asking out of curiosity really, not because I've got any that are getting that big. Have to wait for a bigger house and a bigger tank first. :wink:

Many Thanks

TC
Everyone has a photographic memory, some have just run out of film.

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:19 am

I have one (believed to be female) who has started to develop her pale bits in her stripes since early last year. Shes approx 6/7 inches and from what I know of her background, 7/8years (might be older). She is also the alpha in the group.

I have a male that is slightly larger than the above and he has no sign of his pale bits yet, hes as dark as ever :)
Pic's just for the sake of it :lol:

Ashleigh

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:41 am

My biggest female is around the same size and age of Ashleighs and she to has the pale marks :)

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:02 pm

This is Mr. Big Botia, about 7" and 12 years old:

This picture was taken the day he arrived here:

And this is a recent one:

He is sometimes bright colored, sometimes pale but mostly paler then other Loaches.
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

Eyrie

Post by Eyrie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:49 pm

My largest two are about 7". The one I've had from the start doesn't show any signs of stripes developing after about four years. The other does have stripes but was a present last Christmas so I'm not sure of its age. None of the other four (5-6") have stripes.
Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:16 pm

I have a 5" TL clown that has been with me for 14-15 years and never grown any larger. Despite it's growth pattern (or lack of), it shows the beginnings of stripe splitting, on the dorsal surface of the black stripes. Will have to see if I can find a pic. I have several 6-7" fish that show quite a bit of stripe splitting, yet I have seen pics of 10"+ specimens without this.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:00 pm

Here's an old pic of the 5" loach I mentioned above. She's always been this pale colour, as have 2 of her friends which were bought at the same time when they were all 2". One is really little and has never grown past 3.5", then there's her at 5" and the other one (who was the Alpha loach until Marge came along) is at 9". You can see in the picture below that on the dorsal surface of this fish, where the dark stripes are, there are white patches forming in the centre. I have seen this happen on other fish, which as they have grown larger, has spread down the dark stripes on the flanks of the fish.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:33 pm

As Emma just posted, my Mr. Big Botia also has same white patches best seen here:

My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

ckk125

Re: Question for Owners of Large Clown Loaches

Post by ckk125 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:02 pm

TeeCeeJay wrote:In your experience,

At what age/size do the clowns develop their 'stretch marks' where the black bands start to develop a light patch towards the centre. (A la 'Marge', 'Basil', 'Stripes' etc)

Just asking out of curiosity really, not because I've got any that are getting that big. Have to wait for a bigger house and a bigger tank first. :wink:

Many Thanks

TC
Ah.......you forgot about mine!

Anyway, here is something to ponder about..both same size, both wild caught at this size.

Both are at 11 inches TL
Chen

ckk125

Post by ckk125 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:11 pm

Something to be noted about.many people percieve that as the clown grows larger, the colour gets pale and starts to fade..However, large clowns seem to have reddish dorsal fins as compared to young ones..
Chen

TeeCeeJay

Post by TeeCeeJay » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:13 pm

Emma Turner wrote: stripe splitting,
Emma
Is that the technical word? I could only think of stretch marks :lol:

Thanks for your answers people. Like I said, I thibk I'll have to wait a while longer before any of mine get that far

TC
Everyone has a photographic memory, some have just run out of film.