Yoyo swimming end to end

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

sirloachalot

Yoyo swimming end to end

Post by sirloachalot » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi All
greetings from a noob. Had the tank running for 2 months now.
A little concerned about one of my Yoyos. I noticed last night he seems to swim about 1/3 off the bottom and from one end to another at the front of the tank, back n forth like a zoo crazed tiger. The other one is fine and acting normal as are all the other fish. Yoyo was doing it again this morning, I wonder if he was at it all night? He stopped for feeding time this morning and I wont know any more till I return home from work.

Any thoughts on this behaviour?

Tank History
http://mec-symonds.eng.monash.edu.au/tw ... FiveFooter

connor

Post by connor » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:47 pm

It's perfectly normal! Loaches do this all the time (especially after major changes in tank decoration and the like) and yoyo loaches in particular like to swim around alot.

Loaches are weird fish sometimes, that's part of why I like them so much. :)

-Connor
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

sirloachalot

Post by sirloachalot » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 pm

thanks connor, I didnt think he looked to stressed by it all just noticed it as different from normal and wanted to check :) Being new to it all somewhat I must admit that loachs do a hit a special spot for me. they are just such characters.

bullisbm

Post by bullisbm » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:50 pm

"Loaches are weird fish sometimes" Now that is an understatement! :lol:

starsplitter7

Weird Fish

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:37 pm

The last couple days 4 of my Yoyos and all 4 of my striata have been racing each other across the front of the tank. Crazy little guys. They are all generally out and about. I don't see my Clowns and Darios do it as much. I think they do their racing during the night shift.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:02 am

I have 2 sinibotia. One of them spends a lot of his time swimming back and forth and up and down in the front 1/3 of the tank. It's exhausting to watch for very long. 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:29 am

just you wait till you catch one of them pretending to be dead. they think it is incredibly funny to give us loachkeepers a good shock every now and then :roll:
"Loaches are weird fish sometimes" Now that is an understatement!
that is why we love them so much i reckon :D

anewbie

Re: Yoyo swimming end to end

Post by anewbie » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:49 pm

I know this is an old thread but thought i would comment - after a bit of a delay i finally moved my 6 zebra loaches; 4 yoyo loaches and 9 clown loaches in to a 10ftx4ft aquarium - and for the first week nearly 18 hours a day they swam back and forth down the 10 ft around the corner than down the 4 ft then flip around and repeat - they did it so much they wore away the substrate ;) after about week 3 they reverted to small groups swimming some during the day other waiting till night - like righ tnow i have a group of 4 yoyo and 1 clown swimming laps. The zebra are inclined to drop out pretty fast - not sure if they get tired or banged up with the larger loaches - my 2 largest clown loaches are 5-6 inches - 1 likely a plump female and hte other likely a slim male the others are around 3-4 inches being a bit younger. The yoyo and zebra are all adults and while the yoyo are not much larger than the zebras they are more robust.

This is a poor picture i took a while ago when i first put them in the 10x4 a month ago:

Hum. Don't see a way to attach images.... so maybe no picture.