My new little set up

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

JAH

My new little set up

Post by JAH » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:09 am

Can I have some suggestions of how I can improve this little tank I've been playing around with today.

It's only 30" x18" x15" so I was limited really,but I've added an upside down power head and sponge at the back to give a good flow,I've also put an airstone/airline at the back so the bubbles get caught in the flow.

The filter/heater are built in and don't give much flow,but have a good biological capacity.I could add another internal filter but I'd rather not clutter the tank up with equipment.

On to the decor,as you can see it's well, minimalist at the moment :lol:

I feel it looks a bit bare in the middle/upper regions but I don't want to break the water flow, what do you think?

By the way,I intend to keep the tank at 20-22c and I want to stock hillstream loaches if the tank is suitable.

Please feel free to offer advice,information,hints,tips etc.or just laugh and tell me it's c*ap,I won't be offended - I'm 'cutting my teeth' on this little set up before moving on to bigger tanks so all input is welcome :)

Jayne

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:46 am

Hi JAH,

I had the same problem with a small 2ft I was setting up for hillstream conditions. I think mine is a bit shallower than yours (12inches), but what I did was basically get a load of rounded cobbles and started arranging them around near the edging of the tank and gradually worked my way in piling up stones as I went along and got closer to the middle so its like a mound and low enough that it doesnt affect the output flow, small bits of slate have also been added to create cave areas. Its pretty minimal compared to my other tanks in terms of decor used but it fits the purpose and I like it, even more so that algal growth has taken over on the cobbles. :D

Il post up pic's in a bit when I get the chance-dead hard explaining things!

But yea I think (imo of course) add quite a few more rocks and caved areas. Since your output is from one powerhead placing flow in the middle of the tank mainly???? (correct me if Im wrong), then you have a slower current along the back of the tank? If so you could always add a few plants to fill it out, it really depends what your after.

I did have floating plants in mine for a while aswell-flow was close to the tank floor that they didnt get blown around-the roots coming down were lovely and the Schistura I have loved just chilling in them, alas they are no more-I go home to visit parents for a few days, bf leaves lights off..... plants are no more :lol:

Ashleigh

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:28 pm

sorry to stray a bit off topic, but Asheigh, get a timer for the lights. then no more problems with other people forgetting to turn then on/off. you can get them for about a fiver from places like homebase, and 15 quid for a posh one.

JAH, i reckon more plants would be good too. maybe you could put a bit of bogwood at the back and attatch some java fern or moss?

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:43 pm

I'd add a few more cobbles and some pieces of bogwood.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

JAH

Post by JAH » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:50 am

More decor added today,I think it looks better now.What do you think?
Jayne

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:51 am

helen nightingale wrote:sorry to stray a bit off topic, but Asheigh, get a timer for the lights. then no more problems with other people forgetting to turn then on/off. you can get them for about a fiver from places like homebase, and 15 quid for a posh one.
I wish it was that simple, all the tanks (4 of them) are all wired up together at the moment :roll: adding another in won't be that simple. It is something I will think about when we move though :)

JAH- Pic of my mini river tank, I am going to be changing it a bit, having the cobbles up high at the back and flowing down to the front when I get the chance, but at least it might give you a few ideas :)

Ashleigh

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:54 am

it looks a lot better now, it could do with a bit more of the wood in there though to give the tank some structure.
good if you get some anubias alot of my fish seat themselves on the leaves in the best flow of current.

looking good

mick

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:59 am

Lol, I didn't see that-looking much better :D bit more wood like Mick said and then your sorted.

Ashleigh

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:59 am

Looking good JAH. I would recommend that you make sure that the clay pots don't have any sharp edges and make sure that the pebbles and rocks are really secure. I wouldn't like to see them all fall down upon some loaches.

Cute set-up Ashleigh! 8)

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:25 am

Looks nice! I personally like more wood, it can help fill the higher levels of the tank.

That's a really nice aquarium by the way. It's a Ferplast Cayman 80, isn't it? I almost bought a second hand Cayman 110 in the same color (untill I went for the expensive alternative :P ), very complete tank and good quality.

JAH

Post by JAH » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:36 am

Thanks for the feedback folks,I'll keep an eye out for a branched piece of wood,I have several pieces here but I think they are all too chunky for the look I'm after.

I have anubias in my planted tank but haven't put any in this tank because I thought the flow wouldn't be good for it,but I might try it now as Mick suggested.

Can I ask for advice about stocking?I have done a bit of reading and am aware that most hillstream loaches are fairly friendly with each other but as this tank is small I'm wary of overstocking.

Would I be better with a group of one type or can I mix? What sort of numbers should I be looking at?Should I add some midwater swimmers?

Sorry for the number of questions :oops:
Jayne

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:43 am

hi JAH, ive tried to get a few different sp together for more variety,
in my tank there's the crimson loach, linihomeloptera dispar, Sewelia lineolata,and lepidocephalus guntea and they seem to get on well together.
the sewelias do fight amongst themselves but i think thats normal.

mick

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:51 am

JAH wrote: I have anubias in my planted tank but haven't put any in this tank because I thought the flow wouldn't be good for it,but I might try it now as Mick suggested.
Anubias spp are tough cookies, they'll do fine with the current.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:52 am

One note on your wood--if you haven't removed the bark before putting it in the tank you should probably do that. Many 'critters' live beneath the bark that you wouldn't want in your tank.
Some moss or lichens will release toxins into the water, and the bark will decay into little bits that will get stuck in your filters and litter the substrate. It is always advisable to clean wood you gather yourself (and even purchased wood) carefully before adding it to your aquarium. Remove the bark and the underlying 'skin' between the bark and the solid wood, brush out any crevices that may contain soil or decay, wash off any lichen, mold or visible slimy stuff. Once that is done, I then boil it for at least 10 minutes to sterilize as much as I can. Boiling will also help the wood to sink if you have a floating piece.

Where did you get the branch? Wood recovered from riverbanks and waterways may possibly contain significant levels of herbicides, pesticides, salt or phosphate. Due to the porosity of wood fiber, these contaminants are soaked up and then released into the home aquarium.

I collect wood myself at times and still have some pieces I've gotten years ago. Do clean any collected pieces well before you add them to your tank. Better safe than sorry. I love the look of wood in the tank, and any sucker type fish seem to enjoy cruising around on the smooth wood.

also.....
any rhizome type plant can be tied to the wood and will eventually attach themselves onto it securely enough that if you want to remove it the plant will go with the wood. Java fern, java moss, annubias are a few I have growing on wood in my tanks.

I'd second the concern about your piled cobbles. Make sure they won't fall either onto a fish or where they could tumble into the glass of the tank. 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

JAH

Post by JAH » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:29 am

Hi Shari

The wood has been in one of my other tanks for about 12 months so hopefully it should be OK,but I'll keep an eye on it and remove it if it starts to give cause for concern.

I've had a good look at the cobbles and they seem stable to me,there are 3 flat pieces of slate in there too and I think that they help to keep things in place.Again though I'll be watching carefully.

Thanks Shari and everyone else for your input,I'm used to dealing with setting up planted tanks and I'm learning that these fast flowing,rocky aquascapes are a whole new ball game :shock:

Still,I'm enjoying doing something different,and hopefully the loaches will like it too :)
Jayne