Zodiac loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Munkee

Zodiac loaches

Post by Munkee » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:04 pm

I am looking for some zodiac loaches, but am having no luck locating any. does anyone know where I can buy them either locally or online? I tired Aquabid and the only zodiacs I found, came with a bag of 3 hillstreams as a "Bonus". I love hillies and all, but don't have the means to keep tham at this time.
"For one to fly you need only take the reins." Author Unknown

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:29 pm

I've never kept hillstreams, so experts please correct if I am wrong, but it appeared to me the care is about the same between the zodiac and hillstreams, and I was planning on setting up a river tank with both perhaps this year sometime.

Munkee

Post by Munkee » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:55 pm

crazy loaches wrote:I've never kept hillstreams, so experts please correct if I am wrong, but it appeared to me the care is about the same between the zodiac and hillstreams, and I was planning on setting up a river tank with both perhaps this year sometime.
I am pretty sure the only difference in care is the temperatures. Hillstreams are coldwater and the zodiacs are warm water. I have a warmer temp (76F) stream tank setup, but no place to keep the colder hillstreams, hence why I don't want to win the fish from aquabid.

kimura

Post by kimura » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:14 pm

i just happened to see some for auction right now. i've heard nothing but good things about the guy auctioning them so i wouldnt be worried about the quality. the price also includes shipping which would probably run 30 bucks any other time. if i had some extra money i'd buy them myself.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1203300536

Munkee

Post by Munkee » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:04 pm

kimura wrote:i just happened to see some for auction right now. i've heard nothing but good things about the guy auctioning them so i wouldnt be worried about the quality. the price also includes shipping which would probably run 30 bucks any other time. if i had some extra money i'd buy them myself.

Those are the ones I was outbid on. I was happy that I did not win when I realised that it was for three zodiacs and three hillstreams. I just want the zodiacs....

adamrf1126

Post by adamrf1126 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:33 pm

franksaquarium.com has them.

He is located on long island and i see you are as well. He makes appointments if you want to pick them up. All you have to do is set up a time with him by e-mail.
Last edited by adamrf1126 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimura

Post by kimura » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:33 pm

oops sorry..... i guess i overlooked that important detail on your message :o

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:41 pm

Hillstreams aren't actually coldwater. They like temps in the range of about 68F to 76F or so, Zodiacs like it at the upper end of that range.
Theoretically, you could keep the two together as they like similar conditions, and they would probably get along okay as long as the hillstreams were some of the more out front types like P. cheni. I'm not sure I would do it though. THe zodiacs might out compete the hillies for food.
I would like to hear what others who own this species think.

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:44 pm

Adam - franks hasnt had them for some time.

Munkee - unless our species database is wrong it appears they are both sub tropical. Zodiac are listed as 68ºF to 79ºF (20-26°C), and most hillstreams are showing 68ºF to 75ºF(20-23.8°C). But yeah, looks like 76 is going to be slightly warm for the hillies.

Jim - just curious what you would think of several Sewellia lineolata along with just a few triangularis (or even just a single once, since the profile says they can be single)?

Munkee - I know it is of little help but my LFS (aquarium adventure) had these a while back, but havent seen them there in a while.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:53 pm

I think Sewellia could handle themselves with a Zodiac.
I'm also sure the Zodiac would just love eating any Sewellia eggs that might be scattered if you get any breeding.
I would still like to hear from others who have more experience with M. triangularis. I only have one and it is housed with sids and kubotai.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:08 am

I keep my 10 Mesonemacheilus triangularis scattered among 4 different tanks ranging from the Grrr.. Tank to a River Tank. All in different temperatures from 73/23 to 77/25. Ideally these loaches are Brook river loaches but can easily handle River tanks along with other aquarium set ups with a decent flow. They keep themselves to themselves with the odd little scrap with only each other.

MoonPye

Post by MoonPye » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:25 pm

kimura wrote:i just happened to see some for auction right now. i've heard nothing but good things about the guy auctioning them so i wouldnt be worried about the quality. the price also includes shipping which would probably run 30 bucks any other time. if i had some extra money i'd buy them myself.

Wow this auction really irritates me. They need money for deer food.. anybody who lives in the woods (as I do) knows better than to feed the deer.. causes more problems than it solves.. I would never give money to anyone who does this just as principle. UGH.
~Monica in NEPA ~ We got Dojo Mojo!
Mom to 3 humans, one dog, one cat, and many fish

bullisbm

Post by bullisbm » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:41 pm

I had a Zodiac with my hillstreams had the temp around 76. They did fine together for a while.

The Zodiac for some reason started getting aggressive with everyone else in the tank. I ended up adopting him to a friend.

They never fought over food, but the Zodiac eventually statred constantly harassing them.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:42 pm

bullisbm wrote:I had a Zodiac with my hillstreams had the temp around 76. They did fine together for a while.

The Zodiac for some reason started getting aggressive with everyone else in the tank. I ended up adopting him to a friend.

They never fought over food, but the Zodiac eventually statred constantly harassing them.
One Zodiac :?:

It suggests all that you say.

bullisbm

Post by bullisbm » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:39 pm

I had 2.. but found one out of the tank overnight. So it didn't last.

But the one left was ok for about a month or so after the death of the other. Then he started getting aggressive. So maybe that was why it go aggresive, being the only one of it's kind. I am not sure..

It is now in a much better home with about 6 others or it's own kind and seems to be fine.