Picture theft (again)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Picture theft (again)

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:45 am

It was pointed out to me this morning that someone is using a photo of my own group of clown loaches - without permission - to sell his fish on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-x-Live-Tropical ... dZViewItem

This is one of 4 auctions. I have reported him to eBay and hope that the pictures will be taken down as soon as possible. Just wanted everyone to know that this has nothing to do with me (I would not condone selling clown loaches on eBay, particularly at such small sizes). Needless to say, I am mightily peeved that this person has taken my work from LOL and even had the cheek to keep my name on it. In no way do I want to be associated with that.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:34 am

Emma:

I sent them a nice email.

I mentioned that first they are illegally using a photo that is not theirs to use and also that they were misrepresenting the items for sale. I told them that this pretty well showed the kind of business practices.

Also, I'd suggest that you use the VERO program to file a complaint against them for improper IP usage.

Kevin

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:47 am

Here's the answer I got:

Hi there,

It is clearly visible that the picture hasn't be stolen it has been used acrediting the person who actually took it.

If you like on future listings I can make it even clearer that we didn't take the photograph.

As you will understand it is difficult to get good quality pictures as fish as they move very fast, also I am not a professional photographer with a professional camera.

I hope this addresses your corcers.

Kindest Regards,
Sam

connor

Post by connor » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:33 pm

@grizzlyone

Whoa! I GOTTA remember this one.
"No, your honour, I did not steal the money. As you can clearly see it's still next to the credit card and driving licence in the original wallet, clearly stating who is the true owner." ROFLBTCSTC.

-Connor
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:34 pm

I thought it pretty cheeky (using my best briticisims).

Cheers,

Kevin

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:01 pm

I sent him a nice email back pointing out the error of his ways...no one messes with Emma while I'm around (except me since I still think she is evil incarnate for tempting me with loaches I will never have...sigh..)

He sent me this back:

OK, ok, ok.

I will be removing the listings / changing the photographs myself within the next few miniutes and will take my own photographs / obtain permission and pay somebody else.

The listings have been up for less than 24 hours, we've not yet dispatched any items and listing counters are showing less than 10 hits. This arguably could not have damaged a reputation.

Kindest Regards,
Sam

BlueFrog

Post by BlueFrog » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:38 pm

I'm sorry to see that people are stealing your pics :( sadly, not an uncommon thing, and ebay really doesn't give a rats behind about it. My friend has gone through the same thing with one of his clients, even filing complaints with ebay to no avail.

http://www.walkonmypath.com/ebay-sucks-content-theft/

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:21 pm

The pic has been changed!!!
:D

andre

Post by andre » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:22 pm

Mission accomplished, the photo has been changed!

Don't mess with LOL people :twisted:

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:28 pm

Now I wonder who's pic they used. :?

Mark Janssen

Post by Mark Janssen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:50 am

few days ago i saw o picture of emma on marktplaats.nl (dutch look a like of ebay, but ebay is the owner i think).

emma's:

http://link.marktplaats.nl/148723422
my loache site

7 Botia histronica's & a couple of sid's/Kuhli's

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:50 am

Thank you very much, Kevin. Image
I have just sent a 'friendly' warning to the seller about what I will do if I catch him using my photographs to sell his stuff again.

Mark - I have no idea what to do about that Dutch site. Why do these people think it is ok to copy other people's work and use it to sell their stuff, which in itself is false advertising? :evil:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

LES..

Post by LES.. » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:15 am

New image is from http://www.fishandflora.com/trop6.html

(thanks Google Image search)

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:23 am

Emma Turner wrote:Mark - I have no idea what to do about that Dutch site. Why do these people think it is ok to copy other people's work and use it to sell their stuff, which in itself is false advertising? :evil:
I sent a short, polite e-mail explaining you do not appreciate use of your photo's for such purposes and requested they replace them. Maybe it will help.

andre

Post by andre » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:18 am

Emma, technology comes to your help!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7251621.stm