MaxiJet Mods - Powerheads

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Glostik

MaxiJet Mods - Powerheads

Post by Glostik » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:34 pm

I know alot of us prefer to use Maxijets for our river tanks.

I was curious if anyone here has used the mods for the Maxijets to up the GPH.

Sureflow and Triton are 2 of the ones I was looking at to put on my clown loach tank.
400G Loach Tank - 150G Sump
150G Loach Tank - 37G Sump
75G Planted Shrimp Tank
20G x 2 - Planted Shrimp Tanks
10G Quarantine

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:26 pm

I have used the Koralia pumps and love the high flow but dispersed and gentle. So I figured a while ago that I'd try the MJ mods, the Sure Flow.

The Sure Flow has one problem though, its intake is over a smaller area than the Koralia and it has much larger holes. So more suction and easier for fish to get sucked in. Also the front is wide open, the Koralia now has a strainer piece the goes over the front.

But the Koralias will not hold great on my 1/2" glass. For the MJs I also got the Sure Grip magnetic holder for up to 3/4" thick glass. I've also been able to mount to MJ's on it and still hold great. I plan to mod the mod :lol: and make something to cover the holes better.

I havent seen the Triton mod though, I'll have to check that one out...

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:04 pm

Just so happens I finished my Sure Flow modification to make it more loach friendly. Its in my tank now and seems to be doing well (although I only have it on a MJ 600, have to dig through my junk to find a 900 or 1200).

All I used was needlepoint mesh (black) and some plastic zip ties.

The wrap around the outside is pretty much self-explanatory, the front I actually cut slots into the support pieces with a dremel and cut off wheel. I then used the trimmings of the zipties and glued them in with superglue. So far seemed to work like a charm.

The only thing is the intake grill (needlepoint) might be a little too fine and catch too much stuff. I might either carefully cut out some of the squares in the needlepoint, or perhaps merge every other intake hole on the body of the Sure Flow.

I looked at the Titan, they all look pretty much the same as far as dangerousness with fish getting in, just minor variations with the propeller making them stronger or weaker.

Rychek

Post by Rychek » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:03 pm

Nice work Tristan. I've been contemplating purchasing a mod kit for my Maxi-Jet 1200, but didn't like the intake design. After seeing what you've done, I'll have to go back to the "drawing board." :)
"If no one makes you do it, it counts a fun" --Hobbes the Tiger

"No trees were harmed in the writing of this message, however, several electrons were GREATLY inconvenienced." --Anonymous