Price of 6 inch clown loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Curtis

Price of 6 inch clown loaches?

Post by Curtis » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:46 pm

How much in the US would you expect to pay for 6 inch clown loaches if you could find some?

geaston

Post by geaston » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:52 pm

I paid for mine 49.95 each at Elmers Aquarium in monroville pa, and they were worth every cent , I do not know if they have any left, but they are a very good store. :lol:
four tanks in the office, no space for another one the desk has got to go!

Eyrie

Post by Eyrie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:53 pm

Don't know about the US, but Trimar http://www.trimar.co.uk/ in the UK, who are a reputable mail order retailer, charge £25. My ex paid £20 each for two for me in a private purchase just before Christmas.
Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Glostik

Post by Glostik » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:02 pm

I have paid anywhere from $25 each to $60 each for 5-7" ones in the US.

I bought some 9-10" once last night , I paid $125 each.

I believe they are illegal to export from Indonesia once they get over 6".
I asked my LFS to bring those monsters in , so I got lucky they made it through customs.
400G Loach Tank - 150G Sump
150G Loach Tank - 37G Sump
75G Planted Shrimp Tank
20G x 2 - Planted Shrimp Tanks
10G Quarantine

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:09 pm

I have paid £18.50 for two of mine at 5 inches last year-I have never seen any others around here at that size-quite rare, I am under the assumption these were trade ins and a one off. Three inchers go for £20 in some stores near here :shock:

Glostik, I wouldn't really count it as lucky, there is a max size limit on bringing in these loaches for a reason, I think its unfortunate.

Ashleigh

Glostik

Post by Glostik » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:09 pm

From what Ive read, its because they are considered food over that size.

Be eaten or go to a good home, I would say thats lucky.
400G Loach Tank - 150G Sump
150G Loach Tank - 37G Sump
75G Planted Shrimp Tank
20G x 2 - Planted Shrimp Tanks
10G Quarantine

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:35 pm

Nah- it's the basis of good sustainable fisheries management: don't eat the brood stock. In this case you've got an unregulateable(spelling?) or unenforceable small-scale local fishery, so they regulate what they can- exported pets.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:09 am

For Clown Loaches, there are export restrictions in Indonesia, but not in Malaysia as far as I know.

ckk125, has had no problems getting large clowns where he lives in Malaysia.

To the question at hand, I think $40 each is about the minimun price for 6" clown loaches, but if you need to include shipping it will cost quite a bit more. Overnight shipping costs about $80 if I remember correctly.

Just one question Curtis- how are the tanks coming along?

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:11 am

Glostik wrote: I bought some 9-10" once last night , I paid $125 each.

I'd love to see some pics these big guys. Can you start a new thread and show them off to us?

ckk125

Post by ckk125 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:40 am

chefkeith wrote:For Clown Loaches, there are export restrictions in Indonesia, but not in Malaysia as far as I know.

ckk125, has had no problems getting large clowns where he lives in Malaysia.

To the question at hand, I think $40 each is about the minimun price for 6" clown loaches, but if you need to include shipping it will cost quite a bit more. Overnight shipping costs about $80 if I remember correctly.

Just one question Curtis- how are the tanks coming along?
:D

Yea...pretty easy to find 6 inches and below...after that size, they are only available during monsoon seasons...

I got lots of offers for 9-11 inch clowns recently as the monsoon season has just ended...but i have to say no as i don't have a larger tank to accommodate that many clowns and $ to buy their unbelievable amount of market prawns for them to feast on.( Ask Emma, she'll know. :D

Glostik, do post some photos up! would like to see some photos of these large clowns.:)
Chen

geaston

Re: Price of 6 inch clown loaches?

Post by geaston » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:17 am

Curtis wrote:How much in the US would you expect to pay for 6 inch clown loaches if you could find some?
Curtis were do you live in ohio ? elmers is off the pa turn pike and is realy worth the trip.

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:54 am

Cleveland Ohio essentially. Really Medina but close enough.

Where is this Elmers place you mentioned?

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:17 pm

In columbus the only bigger loaches I've seen are at aquarium adventure and just from memory I'd say they were around the 5" mark, and $50 or more. Personally I buy mine at the sub-2" mark for about $5 :wink: but I dont mind the long wait. If I already had some big ones that I was adding to the tank then perhaps I'd buy ones that were already of similar size. Unfortunately my biggest clown past away recently :cry: so now I am back in the all under 5" club.

Graeme McKellar

Post by Graeme McKellar » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:37 pm

Indonesia have banned export of Clown Loaches above 10cm - or 4 inches for the Americans. Large clowns are not caught mainly due to the method of capture.It is beleived that Clowns spawn in the headwaters of the river at the start of the monsoon high water season and the young migrate back down river in large numbers in January and February. In Sumatra they use long bamboo poles with cutouts just below the node that would allow entry of a fish 4cm long and drive these into the riverbed at 1 metre intervals then daily pull-up the poles and empty the fish into containers. Approximatly 20 million Clowns are exported per year from Sumatra and Kalimantan and the large majority are in the 2 - 4cm range. I often ponder the fate of some of these fish and think many would not reach 10cm let alone get any larger. Cheers Graeme.
"I want to speak with many things and I will not leave this planet without knowing what I came to find, without solving this affair, and people are not enough. I have to go much farther and I have to go much closer." - Pablo Neruda.

geaston

Post by geaston » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Curtis wrote:Cleveland Ohio essentially. Really Medina but close enough.

Where is this Elmers place you mentioned?
Monroville Pa. best way to get from cleave land is the turn pike to the monroville exit take the far left exit at the pay booths it will say momroville buissness Elmers is on the left after about the 5th light .there is aa good pet supply plus which has great deals on seeded bog wood they sell diffrent size pieces with java moss etc and their price's are good,
Directions are on their web site www.elmersaquarium.com,
I would call about the large loach but they have over 250 tanks, great plants and staff.