new loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

avee

new loaches

Post by avee » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:23 pm

I recently lost all my 8 loaches due to ich and considering taking new ones. I even bought powerful powerhead to them and gave up some other fishes to make more space for them. I'm going to take some 15 of them. i know my 125 g tank is not big enough for 15 adult loaches but it takes long time to get there.
The problem is all loaches that are sold here are very small - ca 1,5 inches. The loaches I had vere twice as big when I bought them.
It's quite an investment and I'm worried that maybe such small loaches won't survive. Is there anything you can suggest me that I should keep in mind when taking them home?
Thank you.
500 L

avee

Post by avee » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:42 pm

and one more thing - is it true that loaches from Borneo are shy and loaches from Sumatra are not and how can I tell one from another? My old loaches were out all day and went to sleep at night.
500 L

newshound

Post by newshound » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:22 pm

I can't answer your ?'s
the one ? I have is why did you lose your loaches in the first place?
figure that out.
solve the problem before any more clowns die.
drain your pool!

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:45 pm

Hi avee,

As newshound has said, we really need to find out why you lost your other clown loaches before you take on any more. Could you tell us more about the aquarium: filtration, water movement, water parameters, how long the tank has been set up for, etc etc?

Were your other clown loaches as small as the 1.5" ones that you mention? In my opinion, shops should not be importing specimens of this size unless they can devote the time to give them intensive feedings coupled with regular water changes throughout the day - something that is not easily replicated in the average aquarium in the home (water quality issues from overfeeding). I refuse to import specimens under 2.75" as I feel they are stronger and stand a much better chance of adapting to aquarium life at a slightly bigger size. If you do decide to try keeping them again, it would be wise to look further afield in order to try and find a shop that is importing specimens of a larger size and which appear to be in good health.

Also, there is no truth in the rumour you have heard about the difference in shyness of clown loaches from Sumatra and Borneo. Shyness will depend on a whole host of factors, from number of clowns, how long they have been in the tank, how much shady decor is provided, the strength of the lighting (dim is best for clowns), if peaceful 'dither fish' are present etc etc. You can read about regional colour variations here: http://www.loaches.com/articles/clown-l ... variations

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

avee

Post by avee » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:18 am

I bought new fish and they got ich but I detected it too late, then panicked and added salt (now I know I shouldn't have), then cured them with sera bactopur. Other fishes healed but clowns died. My tank is 1 year old and never had any disease outbreak before.
I have 500 L tank (2m long), eheim filter that filtrates 1800 L/per hour, Tunze Turbelle NanoStream Pump 6055 (flow rate up to 5500l(per hour), ph is ca 7,5 (with peat in filter).
Other fishes - 6 tiger barbs, 7 bosemani rainbows, 4 marmor gouramies, 2 blood parrots.
The clowns I had were ca 3'' when I bought them, but now only 1,5'' ones are sold. We have only couple of pet stores here. Since I really really want clowns I thought maybe they were not too small after all or maybe I can do something tohelp them survive.
500 L

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:42 am

I think such small Clown Loaches would be better placed in a smaller tank, with just themselves to grow a bit before being added to the existing tank.
I have a similar set up: 125 gallon tank, and the Clown Loaches are too small for the other fish (Might get eaten).
I am growing the Clown Loaches in smaller tanks until they reach at least 3", then they will be safe in the 125.

I keep the CL isolated and treat for internal parasites with Levamisol, and can give them the extra food they need as growing babies.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:00 am

Yes, I'd agree with growing them on in a heavily-filtered smaller set up first, where they are the only species of fish. You wouldn't stand a hope of being able to feed 1.5" clown loaches intensively in a tank that contained a group of Tiger barbs, which like other members of their family, are so very greedy.

I would also think about rehoming the blood parrots before adding the clown loaches to the main tank. They are a man-made species and can be very nasty when adult. They would think nothing of biting at the little clown loaches that no doubt would be inquisitive of their tank mates.

Best of luck,

Emma

avee

Post by avee » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:03 am

Thank you, Emma. Thank you, Diana
Should I treat them with levimasole just in case?
500 L

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:16 am

Yes definitely. Let them settle in to the smaller tank, then start treatment. Remember to give them lots of small feeds throughout the day with appropriately sized foods such as (defrosted) frozen cyclops, daphnia and baby brineshrimp, plus small sinking dried foods/pellets and keep up with regular daily partial water changes.

Emma

avee

Post by avee » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:48 am

I think I'll separate my tank into two parts with net or something. Can't really have another tank with good filtration.
500 L