Hydor Koralia/Tunze Nanostream vs. "classic" pumps

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

connor

Hydor Koralia/Tunze Nanostream vs. "classic" pumps

Post by connor » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi *@*.

I decided I need :twisted: more flow :twisted: for my 300 L (79 gallons) 120x50x50cm loach community tank.
Right now I have 2 "classic" powerheads doing 570 and 1000 L/h respectively in a nice "U-shaped" stream (when viewed from above).

So I looked at powerful yet economic powerheads of the newest generation and came up with the Hydor Koralia and Tunze Nanostream series, both available in several thousands of litres per hour versions at a very low wattage. I read the Koralia review on LOL and several others elsewhere and the verdict on both the Koralia and the Nanostreams seems to be: Plenty of flow, but not very far-reaching, more like a broad pattern.

Now I'm not so sure if this will be the right thing to replace the 570 L/h powerhead. Will the broad flow pattern mess up the circular stream in my tank, will a Koralia/Nanostream really add more directional flow (as opposed to somewhat diffuse water movement "everywhere"? Would I be better of simply adding a MaxiJet 1200 or the like?

I would really appreciate some input from people who know both kinds of these powerheads!

Thanks,

Connor
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:27 am

You could get the maxi jet, and then one of the maxi jet mod kits like the Sure Flow (1600/2100GPH) and then compare yourself. The Sure Flow mod kit will only set you back like $15 plus shipping if you shop around (plus they also have the magnetic base mod kit too, Sure Grip). But the Sure Flow kit has much larger holes, and without modification I think the Koralia is better for loach-friendliness. But at least with the MJ, if you dont like the propellor mod than you can just go back to regular.