kubotai or strionica?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:19 pm

I find it hard to believe that a kub would turn into a killer. They seem very gentle to me - mind you mine are relatively small so far (I have 10 of them). I wonder if the others didn't just die from other causes and this one was simply picking at the carcass.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:06 pm

According to owner he saw many times his kubotai chasing other fishes in tank, including his killed red tailled shark (twice as big as the killer kubotai - according to him).
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:49 am

I've not had kubs before but the talk on striata surprises me. I'd call them the most peaceful loach Ive kept to be honest. Pretty much everyone else, clowns, yoyo, skunks, have shown more aggression (not that its much) but I've not personally seen my striata show any aggression at all. But every tank is different I guess. I actually just recently put a dozen of them in my 240g and they now exhibit quite different behavior than they did in the 75g. the strangest thing is they seem to want to often school with 6 roseline sharks. Its kind strange, they are nothing alike, but back and forth there is a huge group of fish swinging across the tank, 6 roselines and usually most of the dozen striata, usually about a 1/3rd the way up to about the middle of the tank.

Rocco

Post by Rocco » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:18 am

I get the feeling that that fish isn't 100% kub.

I keep kubs with yoyos and striatas... sort of like a small, medium, large set of botias.

While there are a few outbreaks of body slapping in my tank, nothing escalates beyond that. My striatas are brave buggers but other than that, they seem peaceful and amiable. The kubs hold their own against the yoyos and chase them around now and then, but like I said, no real bad fights.
"Out beyond the ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." -Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Balkhi-Rumi

"We dance around in a ring and suppose, while the secret sits in the middle and knows." -Robert Frost