Striata close ups

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

crazy loaches

Striata close ups

Post by crazy loaches » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:39 am

I've gone through and picked out some of the better pics of my loaches that I've taken with my new canon S5 over the last month. I am still struggling to get good pics with it, and limited in my equipment currently, but these are the best so far. Still also thinking about just giving in a getting a dslr instead, but anyways here are the pics:

Bully

Post by Bully » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:42 am

Excellent pics!!

I love that last one where you can see the pouch for the suborbital spine, I've observed my fish for hours looking for it, and never quite been able to make it out. I did however have the pleasure yesterday of actually seeing the spines deployed in a feeding frenzy over some live glassworm :)

Some beautiful detail, thanks for posting :)

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:54 am

Superb pictures!! 8)

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:13 pm

Bully, FWIW I've never seen them deployed by the striatas, but yeah you can see it very clearly in the close up of the eye. I have seen the spine out on a clown once, maybe I spooked him/her walking up to the tank, IDK, but he was just sitting there chilling. Wish I had my camera in hand.

jones57742

Post by jones57742 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Tristan:

Very, very nice.

TR
Hookem Horns and Keep Austin Weird
In the short run the good guys never win:
In the long run they win some of the times!

fish_frenzy

Post by fish_frenzy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:34 pm

Georgeous Fish! I love the gold sparkles! Makes you think he/she got dressed up for his/her close up! hehehe

Tammy
Looney for Loaches!

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Seems like you're pretty damn good with that camera. I'd be over the moon if I got some shots like those!

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi Crazy Loaches , absolutely stunning pics , keep em coming i never tire of Striata pics , wonderful closeup of the eye !

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Thanks all :)

palaeodave - I do believe these are about the best fish close ups I have taken so it might sound weird that I am not happy with the camera but I do think my camera is not as sharp as it should be. Some other S5 photos I have seen and actually S3 for that matter are better. But I am happy with these particular pics or I wouldnt have posted them :wink: BTW I am using a macro lens on the above pics. If I had the adapter for my older S1 (3.2MP) it would not surprise me if I could get near the same quality. The other issue has little to do with the quality of the camera but the extremely tight DOF using the macro, its very difficult to get good focus, I probably have taken several hundred pics to get a dozen that are in decent focus.