Breeding Chromobotia macracanthus

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun May 18, 2008 1:28 pm

oliv wrote: This time about 20 % of caviar female Chromobotia macracanthus was activated male Botia lohachata and now hybrids grow
I thought this would happen. Dear, oh dear. :evil:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Sun May 18, 2008 1:38 pm

oliv wrote:This time about 20 % of caviar female Chromobotia macracanthus was activated male Botia lohachata and now hybrids grow

:evil:

oliv

Post by oliv » Sun May 18, 2008 2:03 pm

Emma Turner wrote:
oliv wrote: This time about 20 % of caviar female Chromobotia macracanthus was activated male Botia lohachata and now hybrids grow
I thought this would happen. Dear, oh dear. :evil:

Emma
If it is not pleasant to you, why at you on the image of a structure and in the signature of a photo of a hybrid???
I do it with the purpose of reception of interesting variants of colouring, as on your photo

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun May 18, 2008 2:11 pm

oliv wrote: If it is not pleasant to you, why at you on the image of a structure and in the signature of a photo of a hybrid???
I do it with the purpose of reception of interesting variants of colouring, as on your photo
The fish in the photo was wild caught. She is now 12" long and is most definitely not a hybrid.

Emma

oliv

Post by oliv » Sun May 18, 2008 2:24 pm

Believe, I saw and not such variants of colouring, large is owing to hybrid power
And that is caught in a nature, it is possible to keep and to fill up a population of a wild fish, for the further production, a fish from fish farms let out in natural reservoirs for cultivation, about it is better to ask the Asian farmers

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Sun May 18, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi Oliv,

Congratulations on what you got!

I watched the 3 movies. Clown one is perfect but other two fry is too small to be recognized. Hope you post a newer video as soon as possible for us to see this new Clown/Lohachata breeding.

Best wishes! 8)
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

andre

Post by andre » Sun May 18, 2008 3:51 pm

oliv wrote:...and now hybrids grow
What's the point Oliv? почему???

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun May 18, 2008 3:52 pm

oliv wrote:Believe, I saw and not such variants of colouring, large is owing to hybrid power
And that is caught in a nature, it is possible to keep and to fill up a population of a wild fish, for the further production, a fish from fish farms let out in natural reservoirs for cultivation, about it is better to ask the Asian farmers
Rubbish.
How long has the successful hybridisation of botiid species been happening? The fish in my picture was grown on from a small wild-caught specimen. We know approximately how old she is and she would have been taken from the wild a long time before any of this cultivation of hybrid loaches has taken place.

Emma

Bully

Post by Bully » Sun May 18, 2008 7:19 pm

oliv wrote:This time about 20 % of caviar female Chromobotia macracanthus was activated male Botia lohachata and now hybrids grow
Such a shame :(

The purpose of tank breeding should be to relieve any burdens on wild stocks.

Knowing that hybrids are being actively sought after by breeders is only going to push me to purchase stock that I know is wild caught. The knock on effect of this of course, is that the breeder choosing to selectively breed hybrids will not, ever get my business. The internet is a hugely successful resource for loach keepers, and hopefully with websites like Loaches.com providing so much information, and being so accessible, anyone researching a loach purchase will be savvy enough to check the source of the stock at the lfs. I will happily pay premium prices for fish I know are either wild-caught or farmed without fear of hybridisation. If I can't be assured of its status I will not buy.......ever.

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Sun May 18, 2008 8:01 pm

Bully wrote:
Such a shame :(

The purpose of tank breeding should be to relieve any burdens on wild stocks.

Knowing that hybrids are being actively sought after by breeders is only going to push me to purchase stock that I know is wild caught. The knock on effect of this of course, is that the breeder choosing to selectively breed hybrids will not, ever get my business. The internet is a hugely successful resource for loach keepers, and hopefully with websites like Loaches.com providing so much information, and being so accessible, anyone researching a loach purchase will be savvy enough to check the source of the stock at the lfs. I will happily pay premium prices for fish I know are either wild-caught or farmed without fear of hybridisation. If I can't be assured of its status I will not buy.......ever.

You're giving the general aquarist too much credit. Some are knowledgeable but most shop with their eyes or buy loaches to eat snails. The breeding source and genetic purity is superfluous to most. Hybrids might actually relieve wild populations.

oliv

Post by oliv » Mon May 19, 2008 11:30 am

Marcos Mataratzis wrote:Hi Oliv,

Congratulations on what you got!

I watched the 3 movies. Clown one is perfect but other two fry is too small to be recognized. Hope you post a newer video as soon as possible for us to see this new Clown/Lohachata breeding.

Best wishes! 8)
Hi Marcos!

Adult

http://www.hotbox.ru/download.php/?file ... r=olivandr

1,5 months

2 weeks

Last edited by oliv on Mon May 19, 2008 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oliv

Post by oliv » Mon May 19, 2008 11:36 am

Emma, excuse, at me it is bad with English, and I have not understood that you wanted to tell
Among agricultural animals there is a set very useful to the man animal - hybrids, I am engaged in selection, it is a science and in this area a continuous white stain, and your conservatism is not clear to me, Englishmen all such???

oliv

Post by oliv » Mon May 19, 2008 11:46 am

andre wrote:
oliv wrote:...and now hybrids grow
What's the point Oliv? почему???

Without it it is not interesting to live and to work, I am constant in search, a fish you see decorative, recently I try to receive a hybrid capable to transfer low temperatures, our Russian winter, I work with Misgurnus fossilis, can be the Clown will help also :wink:

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Mon May 19, 2008 11:55 am

Hello Oliv,

Thanks for new videos. You said you have hybridize Clown loaches with lohachata loach and send a video named Klown_lichinka.mp4 but fry is too small for us to see. I´m asking you to send a newer video of them as they are getting bigger. Videos you just sent are from Clown loach parents and baby clown. I wish to see clown+lohachata (lichinka) babys as they get old. :lol:

Regards,

Marcos
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

oliv

Post by oliv » Mon May 19, 2008 12:14 pm

Marcos Mataratzis wrote:Hello Oliv,

I wish to see clown+lohachata (lichinka) babys as they get old. :lol:

Regards,

Marcos

I have added still video 2 weeks, fry of a hybrid while than differs from a hybrid, only little bit more largly and grows very non-uniformly, it is necessary to sort, unfortunately there is no equipment to make a qualitative video, excuse
If only tomorrow I shall do a photo

To hybrid while two weeks, will grow up slightly, that will turn out we shall see!