Clown Loach Juvies Hiding & Have Dark Spots

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ladysparky

Clown Loach Juvies Hiding & Have Dark Spots

Post by Ladysparky » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:02 am

Thanks, Chefkeith. This looks exactly what I am concerned about on my Clowns. Can you tell me how yours showed up in the tank? Did it come in on new plants? a new fish or ?? Tell me about their behavior. Did you have any other fish in the tank? Were they infected? Is it completely gone now?
Ladysparky

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:37 am

It all started when I got a few beaten up looking Clown loaches from a Cichlid Breeder on Aquabid. They were covered with black spots when I got them. That was last Febuary.

If there were any behavior changes with the clowns, they were very subtle and I didn’t notice.

I have lots of other fish in the tanks. (Rainbowfish, Barbs, Kuhli's, Tetras) I never saw any of them with black spots.

I think the black spots are completely gone now. Last month I noticed a few black spots cropping up. But I also noticed that my clowns were flashing alot. I did add some new fish to my tanks early in December. I suspected that I was on the verge of an ich outbreak, so I treated my tanks with salt (about 2 teaspoon per gallon). After 3 weeks, the flashing stopped, and the black spots disappeared. Luckily, I never did see any ich spots on the clowns.

What the black spots are is still a mystery to me, but I know how to treat it now. Some people have reported that black smudges can be caused from ammonia burns. I wish I could find pictures of this ammonia burn so I could rule that out.

Once again, for reference, my black spot photo album is here-
http://photobucket.com/albums/c49/chefk ... ck%20spot/

barbara

Post by barbara » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:12 am

many people comment on black spots that come and go. my own clowns have this happen, too. it seems nothing to be concerned about. some also darken rather than lighten when they are stressed or otherwise excited...or sparring. all these things are common. of course if swimming or eating is off then maybe there is something going on. hiding, per se, seems somewhat normal. mine seemed to hide for months after i got them and now, about two years into owning them, they have finally started coming out more. having adequate hiding for them and dithers seems to help alleviate shyness. also, in my own case, i think a quieter environment...less noise in the house, less traffic by the tank may also have encouraged them to become more bold.
slogan for the day: things may not be what they seem.

Ladysparky

Thank you for your input

Post by Ladysparky » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:47 pm

Thank you for your input. It would appear that there are differing experiences in this matter. I will keep an eye on the situation. If I feel they are appearing ill I'll medicate, as chefkeith recommended. I have a UV light and would think under most circumstances it should alleviate the parasite issue (if that is indeed the problem). The tank is under-stocked and should consider another clown and some tetras. If I were to get them tomorrow, they would be in quarantine for a month and that should give me plenty of time to ascertain if there are any health issues. Thanks again for your help.
Ladysparky

barbara

Post by barbara » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:20 am

indeed it is wise to notice that everyone seems to have differing experiences and situations and the only way to know, actually, what is going on for you in your situation is to watch and assess for yourself...giving consideration to all that you've seen/heard/read and so on. and even then it can be difficult to really know.

you may want to search the archives for "black spots" or some such topic as there have been several discussions over the past year or two on just this subject. when mine first showed this, i thought for sure they had black spot disease but then i read about that and ended up feeling that it wasn't that. i've learned to be more reticent about treating due to the often undesireable side effects but there are times when quick action is best...such as in cases of flexibacter and ich.

i, too, do run a UV unit in my clown tank although actually the light now needs replacement! : )

best,
barbara
slogan for the day: things may not be what they seem.