75 g clown loach tank - stocking (HELP)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jetdav

75 g clown loach tank - stocking (HELP)

Post by jetdav » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:43 am

i have a 75g tank with 4 4"clowns, 7 tiger barbs, 3 ruby/rainbow sharks (+1 juvenile), 1 bala shark, 1 adult marble angel

im thinking about buying 4 additional juvenile clowns (about 1") because they cost 75% less. and some kuhli loaches. is this a wise move?

also please comment on my fish population :? [/b]

newshound

Post by newshound » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:13 am

no it is not wise.
your tank is too small for your current fish.
I think bala sharks need groups and they get large!
4 rainbow sharks in a tank with a 4x2 footprint (at the most) is too many.
did your read the loaches online info about clown loaches?
drain your pool!

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:47 am

Tiger Barbs can get rather nippy toward other fish. A group of 7 ought to keep the nipping to themselves, but watch it.

Bala sharks are schooling fish that can reach a foot long. They startle easily, leading to headlong flight to the other end of the tank, and can injure themselves crashing into the far end. Planting a dense growth of plants at each end helps. Overall the adult size and requirements for Bala Sharks suggests a tank not less than 6' long, and even this really is too small.

Kuhlies are a bit too small to keep with so much larger fish.

Rainbow sharks, while more peaceful than their red tailed black relatives, can still get a bit aggressive, and territorial about their cave.

I have some 4" Clowns in a 4' long (72 American gallon) tank, and they will not be staying there. I have the new tank (6', 125 gallon) and it will be set up this summer.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

jetdav

Post by jetdav » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:40 am

thanks. i am going to transfer the bala and the 3 rainbows to another tank.

also thinking of replacing my tiger barbs with harlequin rasboras since the barbs seem to be too big for dither duty.

thanks for the advice, although i am too set on adding kuhlis, are they compatible with my clowns?

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:41 pm

i agree with the above posts, bala sharks need to be in groups, and can grow larger than 12" in length, plus they make huge amounts of poo :shock: rainbow sharks can be very territorial and agressive towards other bottom-feeding fish such as loaches, its best not to mix them

if you keep the clowns and angel in the 75g and add some harlequin rasboras, it should be fine until the clowns outgrow the tank :wink:
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:06 pm

Be aware that if the angel fish is a large adult, it may go for the Harlequin Rasboras when they are added, so be careful. :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

jetdav

Post by jetdav » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:23 pm

thanks everyone

whats best to feed 1 inch clowns? will they accept flake food?

emmaorabelle

Re: 75 g clown loach tank - stocking (HELP)

Post by emmaorabelle » Tue May 02, 2023 5:43 am

Regarding your current fish population, it seems to be relatively balanced in terms of species and numbers. However, be aware that ruby/rainbow sharks can be territorial and may become aggressive towards each other as they mature. Additionally, bala sharks can grow up to 14 inches in length, so make sure your tank can accommodate their adult size. Overall, as long as you maintain good water quality and provide enough space and hiding places for all of your fish, they should do well together. exhibit of sorrows

NancyD

Re: 75 g clown loach tank - stocking (HELP)

Post by NancyD » Thu May 04, 2023 10:54 pm

Yeah, since the last post was 15 years ago I bet they've worked out the stocking.

I think you must be new on LOL, welcome. Tell us about your tank & fish. Maybe post pics when you can, we'd love to see!