Stone loaches - A Popular Korean Soup!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Finnatic

Stone loaches - A Popular Korean Soup!

Post by Finnatic » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:10 am

I just was just watching a programme on TV - "Dynamic Korea" which basically introduces various Korean dishes, etc.
I was horrified when they featured a segment which introduced a popular dish - Stone Loach Soup!! This Korean lady was shown fishing out a bunch of live Stone Loaches (about 5 inch indiviuals) from a large tank and dumped them into a pot of boiling broth with vegetables, etc. This dish was served to patrons who raved about the delicious and "melt in the mouth" mouthfuls of loaches---

:oops: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Guess one man's meat is .....................but it really put me off Korean food :x
Finnatic
Swim with sharks and play with dolphins (and mermaids when they come around)

Cup

Post by Cup » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:08 am

Honestly, that sounds pretty good.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:09 am

it's horses fo courses innit.
if i visited Korea, i would try as many of their foods as possible.
ive got a disc that a lad from czech did of his visit to Borneo, in the vid there was loads of nets on the river-banks most of the fish in them were for the table.
the one that was sought after was the CL which they seperated for the Aquatic trade.

very good vid to watch to boot.

mick

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:29 am

come on, you live in singapore.
I'm sure you're used to strange foods by now. :)

Slough Shark

Post by Slough Shark » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:55 pm

Not really all that different from eating Salmon or what have you. Just that loaches can be pets and Salmon can't haha!
30 Gallon Livingstone Falls Biotope:
- 4 Steatocranus casuarius

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:23 pm

actually all of the local elementary/primary school in my area raise salmon from egg to about 3" long in ~90g tanks to show the children the life cycle, then release them into the local salmon rivers after a few months

as for other food fish being pets, the sushi bar in my city has a huge tank (probably 200+ gallons) with two largish puffers, the spiny ones :shock: not sure if they are going to serve them some time or what, but i know they are a popular sushi food fish in japan
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

Slough Shark

Post by Slough Shark » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:31 pm

Lucky you guys Brett, I wish we could do that with Walleye or something here, then release them into the North Saskatchewan River when the time comes.

I know that they raise Weather Loaches as food in China and here in Canada, I have seen ridiculous amounts of them packed into barrels at asian supermarkets. I wonder if they'd taste good?
30 Gallon Livingstone Falls Biotope:
- 4 Steatocranus casuarius

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:36 pm

not sure how any loaches would taste, all the bottom feeders i've ever eaten (lake fish) always taste quite muddy compaired to other fish that swim in the top-mid of the water column.. i'd suspect loaches would taste the same
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

Finnatic

Post by Finnatic » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:33 pm

come on, you live in singapore.
I'm sure you're used to strange foods by now.
Well, I'm not used to a bunch of loach lovers - keeping them, not eating them - who do not bat an eyelid when your beloved loaches get dumped ALIVE into a pot of boiling soup...!
Guess I've learned alot from this forum and about this forum :wink:
Finnatic
Swim with sharks and play with dolphins (and mermaids when they come around)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:47 pm

I can't eat fish and even have a hard time eating shrimp. And I can't stand to be in restaurant when people are eating lobsters and crabs (when they are cracking the legs). When I go to Chinese restaurants, I have to eat away from the fish tanks, and I always look at the eels and wish I had a tank big enough to take them all home with me. I have no problem with other people eating fish (especially farmed fish), but I do wish that people were humane (no cooking live and when the animal is killed, it is quick), and that people wouldn't eat endangered and threatened animals -- I don't know how this is legal.

Needless to say, since I think of my Dojos as puppies, I would be devastated to see them at market.

fish_frenzy

Post by fish_frenzy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:00 am

I totally agree with you Tanja! I can't sit in a restaurant that have tanks of crab, lobster etc... I get too upset! I keep thinking of my fish at home. And whether its a quick death or not, it bothers me. How would you feel eating cats or dogs? Why are fish treated different? To me, a pet is a pet, whether its dry or its wet. My Discus are very full of personality as well as my Dojos and Angels. All have their own quirks and are all loved equally. We don't have children, so the 2 cats are our furbabies and the fish are our fin babies. ( yes I know, it's sad) I am a hopeless case. Just my 2 cents.

Tammy
Looney for Loaches!

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:58 pm

tanja and tammy.. who keeps large crabs and lobsters as pets??

i have never seen or read anything about anyone keeping large saltwater crabs and lobsters in tanks for pleasure only, and not intending to eat, sure, i've seen small freshwater lobsters as pets, but not the huge ones (freshwater lobster is pretty close to a crayfish might you :wink: )
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:31 pm

I don't need to keep an animal as a pet to feel compassion for it. I don't like that Lobsters are boiled alive, and I don't like the sound of the cracking legs when I am in a restaurant trying to enjoy my dinner. I was recently in a restaurant that had you can eat crab legs, and all around me people were gorging on crab. I don't mind that they are eating crab, I just didn't need to listen to the cracking and slurping for a solid hour. I don't keep any salt water fish. I don't mind if people eat fish, but I don't need to see it live before hand. I bet less people would eat cows, lamb and pigs if they were in the dining room with them.

I think freshwater "lobsters" are crawdads with good PR. :)

I have been like this since I was a kid. I watched the pigs be slaughtered across the street at the farm in my little village in Germany. I was 18 months old. I remember it clear as day. The farmer did it at 4 in the morning, so people wouldn't see, but I was in the window. But still I believe there's no problem eating meat. Just treat the animals
humanely. I live with a Malaysian man, and I have seen some very strange food eaten at home and in restaurants. To each their own.

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:01 pm

if you think the killing of crabs and lobster for food is cruel (simply putting them in boiling water) or even cows and pigs, i recommend you never look on the PETA site for what they do to chickens in the slaughterhouse :(
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta

Cup

Post by Cup » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:11 pm

Lol, PETA.