vastly different patterns in B kubotai

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mickthefish

vastly different patterns in B kubotai

Post by mickthefish » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:31 pm

hi loachy folks
i don't know wether youv'e seen this in your lfs but the pics coming up were all out of the same shipment,
ive never seen so much variation in the kub's until i tarted taking a few pics of them.
Andy and i were wondering if it could be down to the location where they were caught?.
here's the pics
the last 2 pics show the growth rate on a kub that i bought earlier last year to one that i got just a few months ago.

enjoy
mick

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:45 pm

Do the spots change as the fish age?

Around here there seem to be two general patterns, refered to as large spots and small spots. They come in (as far as I know) in the same shipments. Both are yellower than some of your pics.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:04 pm

yes Diana, with age they get the smaller dots coming inbetween the larger ones,
mine all seem to have the whitish base colour but the large ones i bought
recenly have the yeloowish cast your talking about.
these youngster ive taken the pics of, measure around 1.5 SL to 2 inches.

mick

andre

Post by andre » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:33 pm

I have six and they are all different from each other. Not only they keep changing but the left side of one individual may differ from its right side.

Kubs are in the top three of my favourite fish.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:18 pm

I got a Loach as a contaminant from a tank with Queen Botias. It looks in general like a Kubotai. Are there other Loaches that look similar? Kubs seem to have such a range of patterns I might very well have another one. (I have several in one tank, and now this 'not Queen Botia' in quarantine.)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:46 pm

i think they can sometimes look a bit like some rostrata. rostrata can look very different from each other too and change as they grow

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Are those your fish? The one in the next to last picture looks pretty big. Nice fish.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:57 pm

yup Jason all mine, :lol:
that one in the last few pics was a tiny one last year now it's just short of the 3 inch mark SL.
kubs have to be a must for people to keep for their ever changing pattern and a great temperament.

mick

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:09 pm

I agree. I am in the process of building my fish room with plans to have several loach tanks and they are on the list. I cant wait to get them.

You have a nice collection of kubs there.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:17 pm

Jason you ain't seen the big ones i have. :lol:
kubs i meant just in case Helens lurking in the shadows. :lol:

mick

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:09 am

Love those kubs! I was watching a group of them last saturday and it was great to see their activity.

nurseshelly

Post by nurseshelly » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:13 am

I have 5 Kubs in my tank, one small one is losing his spots and almost has just brown bars. Two large ones have the brown bars with three medium spots in each brown bar, and then other spots. Then the other two large ones have multiple tiny spots in their brown bars, along with the bluish tinged light spots in other areas - these ones also have more of the cream/yellow tinge to their white.
I took a (bad) picture of the small one, and another (bad) picture of two larger ones, each a different pattern. My tank has a mirrored back, and if I use the flash, I get a reflection of me, my hands, and my camera (multiple levels of reflection). If I don't use the flash, the pictures are blurry. So these are without the flash, so not so great, but at least you don't have random lens, fingers, and bits of stuff near the tank reflected into the tank! I dont' know which is worse - focus with junk, or out of focus without it. I'm experimenting with the tissue paper, but haven't found the correct amount - also with standing further away.
Shell
Errrr, I guess since I don't know BBC code, I can't include the picture in my post ... I'll have to put the pictures up on a site on Thursday and post a link to them. I work 12 hour shifts the next two days.[/img]
Michele

nurseshelly

Post by nurseshelly » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:10 pm

So, I'll try to post some pictures! Sorry about the camera reflections and dirty glass! Hopefully it worked!
Michele
Michele

newshound

Post by newshound » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:31 pm

I hope that is not a russian or american nuclear sub at the bottom of your tank!
drain your pool!

nurseshelly

Post by nurseshelly » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

LOL! My 3yr old picked out the sub :) . I had to silicone the bottom shut (it was completely hollow), one day I found the 3 inch pleco, 2 clowns, a kub and a dojo in there! The clowns were getting a tad too big for it, and I had been wondering where all the fish were! Usually the clowns and the kubs hang out inside of the log in front - it has connecting tunnels made into it. The dojos usually dig holes under the plastic plants and hang out there with their heads sticking out. The sub is usually just the hang out of the pleco.
Michele
Michele