Plant eating

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ziggy

Plant eating

Post by Ziggy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:51 am

I've recently returned to fish keeping after a break of 35 years.
In the past one of my favourite fish was the Pakistani loach.
I now have a small group of 4, half grown.
This time around I want to grow plants as best as possible and have introduced a CO2 system.
I have found holes in the centre of some leaves and the growing tips of some leaves as they emerged. Last night I saw that the loaches are responsible. I can't remember having this problem with them in the past. Is this normal and is there anything I can do?

fish_frenzy

Post by fish_frenzy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:58 am

It is normal. My sword plants in my loach tank look like swiss cheese! I recently started feeding them cucumber and zucchini a few times a week.

It seems to be working with all but one clown...she will sit there, look me in the eye and boldly hole punch my red diamond sword plant. But the minute I try to get a pic she is gone! :roll:

Tammy
Looney for Loaches!

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:41 am

My yoyos eat my amazon sword plants but don't bother any cryptocorines, java fern or valisnaria. Swords are cheap and they seem to need it in their diet so I don't mind at all.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:57 am

Yes it's my sword plants thats getting the treatment as well. But as you say, they must need it and swords are cheap to buy. As they are the only loaches I have ever owned, do other loaches do the same?
BTW what's Zucchini?

andre

Post by andre » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:45 am

Ziggy wrote:BTW what's Zucchini?
Courgettes :wink:
Last edited by andre on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:54 am

Thanks Andre :oops:

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

mine also like to dig up plants and have destroyed a big clump of mature anubias. they seem to be happy nosing around in java moss and jave fern without doing too much damage.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:57 am

Feeding plenty of fresh and lightly cooked vegetables may slow down the plant damage.
Peas, green beans, yams, pumpkin, squash, lettuce (not iceburg), cucumber, zucchini, lima beans...
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

jones57742

Post by jones57742 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:49 pm

Diana wrote:Feeding plenty of fresh and lightly cooked vegetables may slow down the plant damage.
Peas, green beans, yams, pumpkin, squash, lettuce (not iceburg), cucumber, zucchini, lima beans...
I feed a bunch of my home made recipes which have a ton of veggies; canned carrots, english peas, spinach, lima beans and green beans as well as banana.

I have not had a problem with my Yoyos munching on my plants.

Sophie: I never thought about lettuce. Do you use Romain?

TR
Hookem Horns and Keep Austin Weird
In the short run the good guys never win:
In the long run they win some of the times!

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:51 pm

Went and bought some zucchani, cut a slice of one weighed it down and dropped it into tank. 6 hours later, they have totally ignored it.
Do you boil the veg. before adding?

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:36 pm

Hey. Try using long "English" cucumber. It's the seedless kind that usually comes (here, anyway), wrapped in plastic. Give them about a one inch cross section. My loaches always preferred cucumber to courgettes.

You may also have some luck with frozen peas. If you dunk one in boiling water for about a minute, and then peel off the outer skin, some loaches will chase it around like a football.

I always had the best luck, though, with cucumber.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks, will get a cucumber tomorrow. And a pea.

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:08 pm

In my case (b. histrionia), the hole punching was a phase... They didn't really eat the leaves when I looked at the holes carefully.

They gave up that habit a few months later.

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:48 pm

anubius fern and java fern are the only thing that survives with my clowns!
All your loaches are belong to me!

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:44 pm

I slice the zucchini (courgette) thin and microwave it with a little water. When it is no longer quite so white, it will sink in the tank without weighting it down, and the fish go for it faster. Raw cucumber is another favorite. I will also feed fresh oranges. Again, slice thin. The fish eat the same part we like, and snails come to the rind. I collect the snails and toss them in the tanks with Loaches.

Many vegetables start off (in my house, anyway) frozen. I will thaw in a cup of hot water and feed without further cooking.
Peas: Remove the outer skin.
Green Beans: Slice lengthwise. The fish will start by eating the tender inside, and will eventually eat the whole thing.
Lima Beans: same as peas.
Carrots: not a favorite in my tanks.

Vegies that I buy raw, and cook:
Yam, hard squashes, pumpkin: Bake until done the way we would eat them, but no spices. If you add the skin of the squash or pumpkin to the tank the fish may not eat it. I include one of these in the frozen mix that I make, it is similar to Martin's recipe.

Leaf vegies can be blanched until they barely wilt. (Just a few seconds in the water- keep them in a strainer, dip and remove)
I do not feed iceberg lettuce, but I do feed red leaf, green leaf and romaine. I include spinach in the frozen mix that I make, similar to Martin's recipe.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!