loach aggressiveness

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

libingboy

loach aggressiveness

Post by libingboy » Tue May 16, 2006 11:24 pm

what loaches are considered aggressive? im not really sure i'd rely on the species index in loaches.com, coz i know modesta can be pretty aggressive and nippy, yet they're described as shy. i've heard that skunks are pretty aggressive, and tiger loaches too. But how about the others, like yoyos and kubotai?
i got some khulis and clowns, and i know of a guy that is disassemblying his loach tank. he's got some modesta and helodes (which im gonna take a pass at), and yoyos and kubotais... im not worried about the clowns coz they're much bulkier, but will they harrass kuhlis? also, will the kubotais/yoyos school with the clowns? coz the guy doesnt have a school of them, just a bunch of different loaches in a tank

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed May 17, 2006 8:35 am

The loach species index is due to be updated pretty soon by a group of regular LOLers, so expect good things to come!
There are many species of Botiine loaches which are aggressive. Firstly there is the Tiger Botia group, now known as Syncrossus. These include loaches such as Syncrossus hymenophysa, S. helodes, S. berdmorei etc. Then there are Skunks (Yasuhikotakia morleti) - this species has an incredible amount of aggression for something relatively small in size. They can easily look after themselves even with bigger fish. In fact, you'd have to be more concerned about what you put in with them. Others in the Yasuhikotakia group that are nasty are Y. eos and Y. lecontei (I presume Y. caudipunctata would behave similarly, but I have no experience with these to be sure). These are best housed in a species only aquarium in my opinion. Modestas can be shy if kept on their own (which they shouldn't be) but in groups they are quite fiesty. I wouldn't keep them with species that are placid such as Clowns. Yo-yo's (Botia almorhae) and Polka dots (Botia kubotai) are slightly less aggressive in temperament, but they are not as friendly as Clowns. They do tend to bicker quite a bit between themselves, and I wouldn't trust them with tiny fish. I have seen B. kubotai successfully kept with kuhli loaches, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable putting Yo-yo's in with them. Others here may well have a different opinion on this though. With regards to shoaling, they are not likely to shoal with your Clowns - your best bet is to find a few more of each species for them to be truly happy.

Hope this helps,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

poeticpyro

Post by poeticpyro » Wed May 17, 2006 3:38 pm

SKUNKS ARE PURE EVIL!

yo-yos + khulis = bad idea!

yo-yos are usually more agressive with themselves, the bigger the group though the less agression *unless they're trying to establish a pecking order* make sure there is PLENTY of hiding places and plants... i have a hiding place for each yo-yo and they each have their own, it's funny they always sleep in their "bed." :D
many tanks...

got to love my fat little wobbly wigglies...

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Thu May 18, 2006 1:03 pm

Hi Libingboy,
Botias are agressive to very agressive. It all depends who their tankmates are.
Modestas are very agressive to the clowns, even if the clowns are much bigger. Modestas can be agressive towards most fish and very territorial to all fish. On the other hand, they will seldom mess with the botia eos and the tiger botia can defend itself from the modesta if it is bigger. Modestas are shy towards people. I get the feeling that mine is guilty for harasing the other fish and hides from me..lol.

Skunk botias are ok with larger clowns and helodes. They will usually terrorize regular fish, smaller/slimmer bothas ( YoYo's, Kubotias, Kuhlis,

The Kulis are probably save only with the clowns, yoyos and kubotias. not the others.

In sumarry, there are many variables and the same botia will behave differently towards different fish. That is why I think these fish are very inteligent, very strong and the most exciting fish.

Let me know if you want me to answer any specific questions?..

Fishhead

Post by Fishhead » Thu May 18, 2006 2:59 pm

It also varies a bit from fish to fish.. My Helodes (Tiger Loaches) don't seem to bother my other fish at all. No matter what people say about the 'agressive' Tiger Loach.
They do bully a bit at feeding time but there is no chasing or bullying other than when the Bloodworms (mmmm, worms.. *smack*) hit the water. I get agressive too, if you try to take food off my plate while I'm eating!

I think the daily beatings help too.

Fishhead

kateswan

Post by kateswan » Sat May 20, 2006 9:22 am

I've kept striatas, skunks, darios, kubotai, hymenophysa, yoyos, clowns and modestas in community tanks (all larger tanks, 220-135 gallons) in groups of 4 to 8 per loach species. The "bad boys" on this list have to be the yoyos first, then the skunks. They fight with each other mostly, but the skunks (mostly as juveniles) messed with smaller fish.

I currently have 2 colonies of modestas, both consisting of eight fish. One group lives with larger fish (catfish, cichlids) in a 220 gal. tank, the other lives in a 135 gal. tank with a wide mix of smaller fish (tetras, corydoras, a flying fox, couple of bettas, and a zebra pleco). Although the big girl of the group will occasionally chase another modesta, they leave everyone else alone. They have consistent "active" times, which occur throughout the day, so I see them a lot.

I keep four yoyos with eight clowns in another 135 gallon tank right now. The yoyos are always fighting -- I think for fun, since there's plenty of bottom territory. The biggest and littlest clown (5.5 inches and 3. 5 inches) seem to keep the yoyos in line when they get frisky. But there's usually no interaction between the two species.

My kubotai have been perfect community citizens, but I've never tried keeping them with any other loach species. I suspect striatas would be fine with them, though.

Kathy S

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Sat May 20, 2006 4:14 pm

I have a bunch of black kuhlis in with the Yo Yos and clowns and so far there hasn't been a problem and it's been about 8 months. In fact they seem to inhabit the same caves.

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Sun May 21, 2006 3:11 am

Hi Kateswan,
I am always interested to know about the behavioral aspects of different species of loaches living together. I was wondering how big were the modestas and are they ever harrased by the yoyo's, chased by the YoYo's or skunks.
I had a modesta that got into a terroritial battle with two much larger cichlid (one was a haplochromis Comprecisseps and some other large cichlid) and reclaimed his space. I managed to get part of this on video.
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

libingboy

Post by libingboy » Tue May 23, 2006 1:50 am

thanks for all the replies... i decided to take a pass since i wouldnt be able to house several schools of different species

for those thinking of mixing different loaches, here are the inhabitants of his loach tank
pakistani botia - 2 pcs, 3"
clown loach - 1pc, 3"
Orange-finned Loach (aka Blue Botia) - 1 pc, 4.5" fat
botia helodes - 2 pcs, 3.5" to 4"
botia angelicus - 1 pc, 3"
in a 2x2x2 tank, with a few locariids.
i also found this site, linked to a loaches online link
http://home.ptd.net/~jdietsch/ldtls.html