Pool sand?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Pixelated_Pirate

Pool sand?

Post by Pixelated_Pirate » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:51 pm

I've seen some people use pool filter sand as there substrate for their tanks. Not sure if they kept loaches in those tanks... but what is the ideal sand for loaches? (I know obviously something not rough since they have no scales and prefer soft sand)

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:35 pm

I prefer pool filter sand because it is 100% inert. I do not add any mineral to my tanks as loaches need soft water.Rocks add mineral even in minute amounts that is not desirable in a closed loop system like a home aquarium. I only added the sand FOR my loaches,otherwise substrate free is much cleaner. The gravel is only for your eyes,not the fishes needs imo. :) others feel it reproduces tha natural system they come from,I respect that thought but do not agree. I say inert is best :) Your home water conditions will also dictate your choice. Fish do need some mineral content so gravel is a valid choice for some. My ppm is well over 400 here hence my choice

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Pool filter sand is graded so the particles are a uniform size. The sand does not pack down in the bottom, so there is reasonable water movement through the substrate. This brings oxygen to the bottom, and avoids anaerobic spots, which can grow bacteria that produce toxins.

Play sand (as sold in hardware stores in the USA) is a sand with mixed sizes. This allows it to pack down, even used as shallow as 2". It is especially bad under rocks. The poor water flow does not get through the packed sand.

Either will work OK as far as the fishes' needs. I have Clown Loachs, Striped Raphael, Yoyos and Brochis splendens (a Cory relative) in a tank with Pool Filter Sand, 30 mesh, and their barbels or whiskers are fine. Keep the nitrate low, or else your fish will have problems with their barbels, no matter what sort of substrate they are over. My first Clown Loach would dig through 1/4" gravel, one piece at a time. Pick it up and carry it several inches away. The hole always collapsed before he found the glass...

Coarser sand is available in masonry yards. The local brand is Lapis Lustre, (I do not know if they are nation-wide) and is packaged in several different sized particles form smaller than 30 grit to coarse sand that is almost fine gravel. Check your local rock yards and landscape places and let us know what you find!
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Pixelated_Pirate

Post by Pixelated_Pirate » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:30 pm

When I was in a LFS they had some sand but nothing seemed too soft...

When I bought my loach tank the guy that sold it to me included abound an inch and a half of sand for the entire tank. He said it was high quality sand htat he bought especially for his loaches when he had them... I don't remember exactly what he said but I think I remember him saying something about silicone. I am just trying to figure out a similar sand that is white in case i wish to add more to the tank... I don't suppose a picture of my would help would it?

waye1964

Re: Pool sand?

Post by waye1964 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:15 pm

The sand you are utilizing could be too little, Sand that is too little can go through the laterals in the base of your channel and back to the pool.At the point when the channel is discharging the water stream can make the sand ascend sufficiently high and flood into the standpipe,which will permit the sand over the pool.
polygroup summer waves elite pool