New clowms

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mary.burns3

New clowms

Post by mary.burns3 » Wed May 17, 2006 7:46 pm

I have 4 new bigger clowns about 4 to 5", bigger than my 10 clowns. So far, they seem to be semi nocturnal, up at 6.30pm till midnight when i go to bed, still up now, still up at 6am with my others. I don't know if they stay up all night when I'm asleep yet. They stay up till around 10am in morning and then sleep till 6.30/7pm. They all have breakfast, amd the new ones are fed around 8pm as they are not there in the day for lunch or teatime. If they are nocturnal, several questions,,,do I leave room light on lowest dimmer setting for them or turn room lights completely off? I have it dimmed at moment as it is so great to watch them. Are 2 meals enough as my 10 usually get 3 small meals, brine shrimp/krill for breakfast, algae wafers/veggie lunch and meaty tea of bloodworm/tubeflex etc . They may stay up longer with my 10 as time goes on, as my 10 are young up all day clowns. The little ones love the new ones and my original alpha clown is still boss during the day when the new ones go to bed, stays with them when they are up, learning from them. Does leaving tank lights off in the day encourage them to stay up in the day either? They have been returned to LFS as previous owners are moving, and appear to like my tank already, settled and eating, very active together after 4 weeks in small tank at LFS, huddled together under a piece of slate and not eating very well. They are so different to watch from my smaller ones. LFS thinks they are about 5 or 6 years old compared with my biggest ones being 2.5 years old. Mary

poeticpyro

Post by poeticpyro » Wed May 17, 2006 10:36 pm

dim light to watch isn't bad, but completely off at night is good... they're very nocturnal.. mine are clicking at their dinner currently... very cute ad sweet...

how big is the tank by the way?
many tanks...

got to love my fat little wobbly wigglies...

mary.burns3

Post by mary.burns3 » Thu May 18, 2006 2:31 am

They are in 4'x2'x2' but a new 150g is cycling at present. I won't be moving them over for about 3 months to make sure new tank is a bit more "mature" for them. I'll move them over in 2 groups. The new tank is 7' long for them, the width of my spare bedroom, looks really nice as room is 7'x11' and I can watch them from 11' away without disturbing them. At present they are in the lounge, and I always take the long way round to the kitchen so I don't disturb them. I used to be able to watch TV as tank is in same room, but these new ones are really good to watch and TV programmes start and finish without me realising!!! I live in a flat and this is the biggest tank i can have, thank goodness the floors are concrete.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu May 18, 2006 8:08 am

Wonderful, Mary! I bet your Clowns are all very happy together. :D
My larger Clowns spend most of the day hidden in big piles around the back and sides of the tank. There are a couple of very small ones that stay out and at the front of the tank all day (I think myself, Barbara, and Cybermeez have all noticed this in our tanks - like the little ones are put on some kind of sentry duty!), but for the best part of the day the tank looks quite empty. The bigger loaches do not start to venture out until after 9pm. Our main lights go off an hour or so later, leaving just the blue moon tubes on for a couple of hours. They are very confident under this lighting, and all of them come out and play around. If you haven't already got one, I'd recommend you get a blue moon tube for your tank, as you'll get to see a lot more of your loaches late evening time. You can have it on a timer so that it comes on just before your main lights switch off. They will need a period of almost total darkness, as they would in the wild, so make sure all room lights are off at some point during the night. We tend to feed ours late at night under blue moon lighting, as they are all out, and therefore all get something to eat.
Looking forward to seeing some photos of your new Clowns once they have fully settled in,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mary.burns3

Post by mary.burns3 » Thu May 18, 2006 6:59 pm

I'm looking into moonlights for them.
The 4 biggest of my 10 have overmight become nocturnal, up with the new ones and asleep all day. The tank looked so different!!! It iis an opportunity to feed the 5 tiny ones without the others taking their food, but so unexpected. I thought i had a couple more years before they grew up!!!