Filtration

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Pixelated_Pirate

Filtration

Post by Pixelated_Pirate » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:41 pm

What is better for Loach tanks in general... One really good Canister Filter... or a lower line canister as well as a wet-sry with a bio-wheel? Because originally I was gunna get both... but if one really good canister can do the job then there is no reason too right?

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:08 pm

Basically, whatever you think the tank needs, double it. Redundancy is what every good tank needs. IME, you shouldn't trust one filter on it's own.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:20 pm

What he said.

I don't believe that you can over filter a tank. Exactly what you use depends on size of tank, number and type of fish, plus other factors. Always 'overdo' it with Loaches though.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Pixelated_Pirate

Post by Pixelated_Pirate » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:05 pm

Yeah I think I'm gunna go with the two... that was my original Idea... never can have enough filtration... plus more water movement...

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:53 pm

Tortuga!!!?
And i thought i had drama finding loaches :)
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:23 pm

You can also alternate the cleaning and there will be less disturbance to the nitrifying bacteria.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Pixelated_Pirate

Post by Pixelated_Pirate » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:44 pm

Diana wrote:You can also alternate the cleaning and there will be less disturbance to the nitrifying bacteria.
Very true 8)

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:08 am

My original plan was to get two canisters (something like two Eheim 2026) for a 60 gallon second hand tank I was thinking of buying. So that would definitely be my advice. Mostly because it makes cleaning easier to do without too much disturbance, but also gives a back up in case one fails.

On a side note, I ended up buying a 100 gallon custom tank for which I designed an internal filter (based on a design I'd seen before).
It's about 8 gallons in total and has 4 gallons of filter material in it (but could have been made any size with any amount of filter material) and has a 400 Gal/h Hagen powerhead (but again, could have been anything). I think (with some modifications) it could make an awesome basis for a river tank design.
Regards,
Erik

Pixelated_Pirate

Post by Pixelated_Pirate » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:47 pm

That is pretty cool!

Does LFS usually have different size tubing in case I wanna make a river type tank by extending the power head intakes to the opposite side of the tank?

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:12 pm

DIY shop usually will have some sort of tubing that will work
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:44 am

Pixelated_Pirate wrote:That is pretty cool!

Does LFS usually have different size tubing in case I wanna make a river type tank by extending the power head intakes to the opposite side of the tank?
Thanks. My LFS made my internal filter for me, I just gave them the specs. I assume they have all sorts of tubing.

By the way, the tube is the outlet. The intake of the filter is not clearly visible but is just in front of the heater. It's basically a grate that extends over the entire hight of the aquarium. That's why I think it could make an excellent river tank filter. Because it's over the entire hight of the tank it can create a uniform flow through the tank.

My idea would be to create an intake on one side of the tank by making a false side with small holes over its entire surface. Connect it to the other side my means of tubing. Create outlets at different hights and connect one or more powerheads. It could house tons of different kinds of filter material and all the tubing can be nicely tucked away out of vision.
But those are just my thoughts on a possible future river tank. (Don't know if I'll ever have one made.)
Regards,
Erik

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:03 am

if you're going to make a false wall why not do a rectangular frame, i your tank is 40cm high then make it 40cm long and maybe 15cm wide out of perspex/plastic or very small PVC and stretch geotextile or "Scotch Brite" material into that frame. That will give you a 113 square cm footprint protected space to run your intake behind that will provide essentially even draw/suction along the entire material area. Stick it in pace with plasticene (?)
Stick moss on it. With such a large intake area is shouldn't matter.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:49 am

Yeah, that would work too. I think that's the good thing about using a custom internal filter, you can make it (or have it made) any way you like.
Plus, you have everything inside the tank. No chance of leaking hoses, etc.
Regards,
Erik