Info. Reqd. about Yoyo Loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

saugata

Info. Reqd. about Yoyo Loach

Post by saugata » Thu May 18, 2006 1:56 am

Hi! All,

This is my first posting in this forum. I am basically from India and am currently based at Bangalore. I am into this hobby for the last 1 1/2 yrs and belive this is one of the best & most interesting hobby to follow.

As of now I have 2 tanks viz., 20 G semi-planted tank with a Oranda as its inmate and another 90G fully planted Community Tank.

I am planning to introduce 3 Yoyo loaches in my new Community tank (setup about 25 days back). The tank has inmates as neons, rummy nose, platys & mollys. I also plan to introduce Albino Cories (8-10 nos), Harlequin Rasboras & Cherry Barbs.

Have the following doubts about introducing the Yoyo loaches:-

(1) Are these loaches prone to jump out of the tank as I have an open top tank?
(2) Will they fight/harm my Albino cories?
(3) Will they try to damage my plants?
(4) Are they good snail destroyers?
(5) Will they pose any problem to my other inmates?
(6) How big do they grow?
(7) What are important Do's & Don'ts pertaining to the Yoyo loaches?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Regards,

Saugata Banerjee

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Thu May 18, 2006 3:17 am

Hi Saugata, this is my first post but I have over 12 years experience with loaches. On a side note, some of my loaches are over 12 years.
First thing, I will assume your new community tank is the 90G tank.
Now to answer your questions.
1. loaches have been known to jump especially the Botia Modesta. I have not heard anyone reporting of Yo Yo's jumping out. But, since it is from the same family of the modesta, I would not take the chance.

2. YoYo's do little harm but they are pesky, especially around late evenings and can really stress out delecate fishes like the rummy nose and neons. They may be harmfull to smaller fishes, you will have to watch them while they acclamate with the new tankmates. On the other hand, they will have each other to mess around with.

3. Depends on the plants. java ferns and some low light plants are not damaged by them. Feed them some cucumber slices occasionally.

4. They do destroy snails but not as good as their cousins, the clown..

6. About 4 to 5 inches (including the tail).

7. Do make sure the tank that they are going into is properly established and has been through its cycle for over a few weeks, do feed live food (blood worms, brine shrimp) every few days or more often, strict control of water conditions are a must, these fish do not have the defence of scales like the other fishes. These fish do very well and live long in a tank with a high quality water condition.

saugata

Post by saugata » Thu May 18, 2006 5:31 am

Hi! Vancmann,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. However, I have a few more queries:-

(1) Will the loaches damage plants like Cabomba, Java Moss & othe such delicate plants?
(2)Can you elaborate as to how will they be harmful to small fishes?
(3) My tank is almost 1 month old so will it come under the category of "well establisged tank?

Regards,

Saugata

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu May 18, 2006 11:33 am

Hi Saugata, and welcome to Loaches Online! :D

Yo-Yo Loaches can actually get as large as 17cm (6.8") when kept under the right conditions. As with all species of Botia, they are more than capable of jumping from an open tank, so you'd really need to think about getting some sort of cover slides made to ensure that they don't escape. They are quite a fiesty species, best kept in groups of 5 or more, and in my opinion with no tiny fish or slow peaceful bottom dwellers such as Corydoras. They are very good snail eaters (like all Botiine loaches) and they will nibble at plants, with the possible exceptions of species such as Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias sp. etc.

Personally, I think a better choice for your tank would be the beautiful Zebra Loach (Botia striata), which as you probably know, is also an Indian species. They don't grow as large as Yo-Yos, and have a very peaceful temperament (so ok with tetras and Corys). Again, if you go for these, the tank should be covered, and they should be kept in a group of at least 5.

A one month old tank is not considered 'well established' as it will still be undergoing some degree of maturation. I would hold off on getting loaches until the tank has been set up for at least 3 months, especially if this is your first time keeping them.

Hope this helps,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Thu May 18, 2006 12:14 pm

Hi Saugata, emma makes some good recomendations. Yes, wait longer for the tank to establish and cover it. Also, make sure there are many hiding places. Each fish may want to make their own home. They are more at ease with other fish when there are enough hiding places to make their home.
The java moss is safe from this fish and the cabomba will grow quickly so it is safe.

I have had my yoyo's with come cardinal tetras and no harm is done. But, they have a tendancy to chase smaller fish and more peacefull/slow moving fish around. They do this dance and stick their gills on the other fish's body, usually its face then follow it around frantically. They will not get above 5 inches in a tank.

Here is a link that I found on the old site on some YoYo's that goes over some stuff including size and other ideas..
http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/bo ... orhae.html