Second Pangio ID please

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Second Pangio ID please

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:22 pm

I was at a LFS, and I was looking at their feeder fish. I found this fish in their tank, and I think it is a Brown Kuhlie eel loach Pangio cf. anguillaris or Pangio anguillaris. They do have an overall brown color. I have two more in another tank. I know the pictures are bad. This is a very fast fish and he's small -- about 2.5 inches, but thin maybe 3 or 4 mm in diameter. Since he came in as a feeder, they gave him to me for free.
Could you confirm my ID, or let me know if I am completely off base. I know it is hard with these pictures. Look how thready he is compared to the Java moss. He's not an Oblanga, unless my other Oblangas are on steroids.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:39 am

Firstly.......can I say the pictures are a bit disturbing. They look like some kind of gourmet meal presentation......and that's.............just wrong :wink:

I think the last picture is the clincher. You can see the side stripe. I'd say P. anguillaris and it looks fat enough to be a female.......tasty.......probably :P

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:50 am

She's been in quarantine, and I was drip acclimating her to actual tank. So I thought this was my best chance at pictures. She wasn't happy about this at all.

I left the room she was in and came back a few minutes later, and she was fish jerky on the floor -- no signs of life. Very frustrating. I grabbed her, and threw her back into the quarantine tank and then fished her out to be in a net under the filter flow. I put a conditioner in to help with her slime coat. She is amazingly still alive this morning and got herself out of the net. I guess I will leave her in quarantine a while longer. I have no idea how she got out of her acclimation bucket.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:24 pm

Hi,

I would say this is Pangio doriae. Compare it with my Pic of P. doriae. Has it nasal-barbels?

Bye, Thomas
Last edited by Thomas on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:52 am

Thomas wrote:Hi,

I would say this is Pangio doriae. Compare it with my Pic of P. doriae. Has it nasal-barbels?

Bye, Thomas
I think you may be correct Thomas. Your picture is so much better than mine. How big is your fish? Is it very thin? Mine is about 3 inches long but only 3 mm wide. It is thin like string or wire. Not skinny though. Naturally thin. Mine eat well.

Thank you. :)

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:29 pm

My were (they both died last year, I had only two female) about 4 inch and yes, they are very slim :) such as the P. anguillaris.