Best Loach Conditions/Buddies?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

acambias

Best Loach Conditions/Buddies?

Post by acambias » Thu May 01, 2008 12:28 am

I'm mulling over which fish to get for a 10 gallon tank with a Top Fin filter--I'm willing to buy a heater if need be.

- Is a 10 gallon tank big enough for two weather loaches, or is something bigger needed?

- Also, another problem...is there a sure way to judge the health of a weather loach in a store? The only store that sells them in my area is Pet Smart, but I've heard bad things...is it even worth it? :<

- If so, what fish do best with weather loaches?

- If not...any recommendations on fish that are awesome?

Thanks!

adrea

Post by adrea » Thu May 01, 2008 12:38 am

Hi acambias,

I just got some Black/Java Khulis and they are in my 10g QT tank for about 2 weeks now - and I cannot stop watching them they are so busy and do not grow large (3-4 inches)... A shoal of 5 or 6 might be nice with some small cory cats might be good.

Weathers/ Dojos grow way too too big and form my experience way too fast to maintain them in a 10g I think - you would have to be prepared to either part with them or upgrade to a bigger tank in a short while- I got 2 in Jan '08 and they have grown about 3/4 to 1 inch already... I have them in a 37 high (the really seem to enjoy the full height of the tank) and we are thnking they have another year two tops in there before we will have to upgrade.

:) Adrea

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Thu May 01, 2008 4:26 am

I wouldn't suggest that any of the loach species would be suitable for a 10 gallon. Even the little Java loaches and other Pangio sp, I wouldn't go for anything less than a 20gallon as they are quite active little things :D

Misgurnis sp, no smaller than a 4ft should be considered.

Ashleigh

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu May 01, 2008 9:00 am

Here's the info from the index of loaches.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/we ... licaudatus

Keep in mind that weather loaches get 9-10 inches and want to be kept in a group.

A ten gallons makes a good quarantine tank but for loaches, you will need a larger tank.

Good luck. :)

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu May 01, 2008 9:57 am

Some of the smallest Loaches, perhaps a Shistura of some sort might work in a 10, but there is no way a Weather Loach would be OK in that small a tank.

Most tropical fish will need a heater in their tank, as they are most comfortable with water temperature in the mid to upper 70s, and most people do not keep their house that warm. If you live in the tropics then a heater is not generally needed.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

loachdad

Post by loachdad » Sun May 11, 2008 10:53 pm

just a note. I got my weather loaches in nov. 07 .They were 4" then. Now they are 7-7.5. They grow much too fast to be in 10 gallons too long.
120 gallon with 6 weathers and 8clowbs
15 gallon with 12 kulis
19 other tropical tanks

Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon May 12, 2008 8:44 am

I think some Kuhlis would be OK in a 10g. Good tankmates would be danios - you can do Zebra Danios (cheap and hardy), the Glofish (just little neon-colored Danios) or my personal favorite, Pearl Danios. Danios swim mid-to-upper level and would balance out the tank nicely. Get a little school (maybe six) and a few Kuhlis. Be sure the Kuhlis have places to hide and they'll be happy.

Far as a heater, if the room temperature is fairly consistent and not too cold, you should be OK without one I would think...
"The darkness does not hold sway - not over you, not over me..."

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon May 12, 2008 11:39 am

loaches, like kuhli's, need to be kept in groups of 5+. A group of loaches should not be kept in a 10 gallon tank.
Tank is too small.

janma

Post by janma » Mon May 12, 2008 1:22 pm

chefkeith wrote:loaches, like kuhli's, need to be kept in groups of 5+. A group of loaches should not be kept in a 10 gallon tank.
Tank is too small.
I agree with this.
-Janne

Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon May 12, 2008 2:50 pm

The rule I've always seen is 1 inch of fish to each 1 gallon of tank. 5 kuhils at 2 inches = 10 (gallons). Right?

My loaches are in groups of four and seem pretty happy.

Whatever you do, just never never NEVER keep one alone. And if you ever have to medicate for any reason, be sure to cut the dosage down, as loaches are very sensitive to medications.
"The darkness does not hold sway - not over you, not over me..."

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon May 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:The rule I've always seen is 1 inch of fish to each 1 gallon of tank. 5 kuhils at 2 inches = 10 (gallons). Right?
The rule is a myth and one of the worst myths in the fish keeping hobby.

janma

Post by janma » Mon May 12, 2008 3:13 pm

Kuhlis grow to 4 inches. 5 Kuhlis at 4 inches = 20 (gallons). And a 20 gallon could work.
-Janne

zmo63

Post by zmo63 » Mon May 12, 2008 3:31 pm

My kuhlis are in a 20 gallon (24"), but are getting upgraded to 40 gallons (36"). I guess they're ok in the 20, but I find the small circles they have to swim in kind of sad.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Mon May 12, 2008 8:20 pm

the fish size/tank size rule takes no account of the different fishes behaviour or capacity to produce waste. it shouldnt be used IMO

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon May 12, 2008 9:32 pm

10 gallon tanks can be extremely useful, but only for hospital or quarantine tanks when it comes to loaches. Even keeping very small tetra-sized fish in such a small tank is not a great idea.

There is no loach that will thrive in such a small tank. I agree totally with Chefkeith that the inches per gallon model is a complete myth and a rotten way to keep fish. Or, start with a minimum size of 30 or 40 gallons before considering it - and only then in tanks with live plants.

The larger water volume allows for a buffer for toxins, better filtration, and just more space for these living creatures.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.