Tank water temperature

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

paujoha

Tank water temperature

Post by paujoha » Sun May 11, 2008 8:57 pm

I have two Dojos in a heaterless five gallon tank (along with 7 small Zebra Danios). The water temp stays pretty constant between 74 and 76 degrees in it's current location (they are also in an area with no direct sunlight). I have read that the allowable temps should be between 50 and 77 degrees. What with the outside weather getting significantly warmer in the coming days I am a little concerned that the tank temp will get warmer than tolerable.

Also, how often should I make partial water changes?

Anyone have any input?

Thanks,

paujoha

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun May 11, 2008 9:38 pm

That tank is way too small for Dojos and Danios, and temperature stability.

Dojo Loaches can get well over 6", and can be very active in between tunneling under some driftwood or the substrate.
Danios zip back and forth a LOT and need more straight line space for all this action.

Next, a larger tank will be more stable with respect to temperature.

I would suggest moving these fish up to at least a 20 long or 29 gallon tank. As the Dojos grow, they may need an even longer tank.

Ways to cool a tank:

Leave the lid off and aim a fan across the top of the water. More evaporations happens, but this is exactly what is cooling the tank. This option is complicated by escape-artist fish. Danios can jump, and I think Dojos are also quite willing to go overboard.

Keep the room cooler. Close the curtains during the day to keep the sun out, open windows at night to allow it to cool off. (This may not work if you are in the tropics). A fan blowing in the room, even if it is not aimed directly at the tank may help.

Add a frozen container of water, but do not open the container. The bulk of the container will defrost slowly, cooling the tank slowly. Rotate containers in and out of your freezer as needed. Think about soda bottles for example: In a 5- 10 gallon tank a single serving size is enough. In a 20-29 gallon perhaps about 1 liter size would be about right.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

paujoha

Post by paujoha » Sun May 11, 2008 11:19 pm

What type of fish do you think would be more appropriate for this size tank (I really don't have the space for a larger tank in my home)?

janma

Post by janma » Mon May 12, 2008 12:05 am

Not a single fish. Maybe some shrimp or snails, but definetily no fish.
-Janne

jones57742

Post by jones57742 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:15 am

paujoha:

I have show guppies and floating plants in two 5G hex tanks but no more than 4 adults: one male and three females.

Assuming that your tank has filtration 25% weekly WCs are appropriate.

TR
Hookem Horns and Keep Austin Weird
In the short run the good guys never win:
In the long run they win some of the times!

theonetruepath

Post by theonetruepath » Mon May 12, 2008 2:08 am

janma wrote:Not a single fish. Maybe some shrimp or snails, but definetily no fish.
Actually this is a good sized tank for a Siamese Fighting fish, or several of the new dwarf black bettas you get these days.
--
7ft planted tank, ~250 fish/500l barrel, ~160 fish
Nikon D300 with DX VR 105mm Macro lens, off-camera SB-800 and SB-600 flashes
Tankcam:
http://www.arach.net.au/~path/broadcast.html

janma

Post by janma » Mon May 12, 2008 3:35 am

theonetruepath wrote:
janma wrote:Not a single fish. Maybe some shrimp or snails, but definetily no fish.
Actually this is a good sized tank for a Siamese Fighting fish, or several of the new dwarf black bettas you get these days.
We have different standards and recommendations around the world and I'm proud of the fact that we support bigger tanks here in Finland. For a Betta it is 40L here, thats double the size of the tank in question here. So I'd still say that it's not a good size tank for any fish.
-Janne

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon May 12, 2008 10:27 am

janma wrote: We have different standards and recommendations around the world and I'm proud of the fact that we support bigger tanks here in Finland. For a Betta it is 40L here, thats double the size of the tank in question here. So I'd still say that it's not a good size tank for any fish.
I totally agree with you, Janne.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

zmo63

Post by zmo63 » Mon May 12, 2008 11:07 am

Janma, I agree with you as well. Not only are fish happier in bigger spaces, they're so much more enjoyable to watch. And easier to keep.

paujoha, I have a shrimp-only tank, and I love it. Cherry shrimp are active and colorful, and there are many other varieties as well. I think it's a great solution for a small tank.