Weather Loach for tropical community tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

SophieJaynne

Weather Loach for tropical community tank

Post by SophieJaynne » Tue May 13, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi my son had a weather laoch in a cold water tank which unfortunately got very sick and went to fishy heaven.

We also have a 75g tropical community tank containing clown loaches, ruby shark, plecostomus, corys, feather fin catfish, upside down cf, banjo cf, various geuramis, tetras, rainbows, rosy barbs, mollys, plattys (I think thats pretty much everyone covered!).

We have a PH of 7.4-7.6 and temperature around 26C.

We were wondering if there were any loaches similar to the weather, or Dojo, loach, suitable for our tank? We loved the temperament of the weather laoch, the way he was sort of 'tame' and very entertaining. Although we understand that some people claim dojo's are ok in warmer water we also hear that they can be susceptable to disease and that their life span can be more than halfed. Obviously this is not something we want to do so we were hoping there was something similar but that would be suitable for the conditions our tank has to offer and it seems you guys are the people to ask!

Many thanks
Sophie

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue May 13, 2008 9:00 pm

Would you consider setting up 2 tanks? Many of the fish in your current community tank will handle the somewhat cooler temps that Dojos prefer.
I have kept the following in a tank at 72*F (22*C, I think)
Dojo Loaches
Synodontis eupteris
Corydoras paleatus (several other Cories are also fine at lower temps)
Common Pleco (different tank, but they also handle cool temps, if your tank is big enough for the mess)
Rosy Barbs
American Flagfish
Spotted Raphael
Platies
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

SophieJaynne

Post by SophieJaynne » Wed May 14, 2008 4:25 am

I had considered that but unfortunatley I am pushed for space and as the clowns, plec and dojos get fairly large I would have to keep them in a large tank and the clowns have to be kept warm. I would have preferred another dojo but its just not compatable with what I currently have.

Are there any tropical species with a similar temperament? They don't have to look like dojos, it was more the behaviour of dojos that we like.

Thanks for getting back to me.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed May 14, 2008 8:50 am

I really like my peacock eels but they can be very shy. They like to lounge in the in the plants and under the small gravel and if thy don't see my fingers, they will eat from my fingers. You just need to make sure you get peacock eels or something similar, and not the bigger, more aggressive tiretrack or zigzag eels.

They require live food and then they will eat frozen food. They are beautiful, have great, flexible snouts and are quite active when they are out and about.

Mine do not bother my small fish like Neons, but they will hunt down fry.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed May 14, 2008 10:50 am

Bichers are VERY interesting fish. One of the more primative fish, a little shy at first, and they do have a similar 'eel' look to them.
They are definitely predators, though. Do not keep them with smaller fish.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:04 am

I agree bichirs are awesome. I have one, and she is certainly a pet. But she does eat everything that fits in her mouth. I feed her frozen silversides (thawed of course).

loachdad

Post by loachdad » Wed May 14, 2008 11:10 am

i have my clowns and weathers in the same tank at 26-28. they are all healthy and very happy.from what i have read they are ok in a faily large range of temp as long as not changed too fast.
120 gallon with 6 weathers and 8clowbs
15 gallon with 12 kulis
19 other tropical tanks

Batch

Post by Batch » Wed May 14, 2008 12:08 pm

SophieJaynne wrote:
Are there any tropical species with a similar temperament? They don't have to look like dojos, it was more the behaviour of dojos that we like.
Pepper loaches (Lepidocephalichthys guntea)!

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ph ... age-search

I have 5 of these guys, and (at least to me) they look and act just like
small dojos. They are not shy at all.
(Hmmm, perhaps this is a good excuse to post more pictures).

Batch

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed May 14, 2008 12:33 pm

loachdad wrote:i have my clowns and weathers in the same tank at 26-28. they are all healthy and very happy.from what i have read they are ok in a faily large range of temp as long as not changed too fast.
Weather loaches are able to tolerate spells of higher temperature, like they would from season to season in nature, but they should not be expected to live at elevated temperatures over the long-term. The implications on health are not fair on the fish. Clown loaches and Weather loaches need separate aquariums to thrive properly and this is what we wholeheartedly recommend at Loaches Online.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

loachdad

Post by loachdad » Wed May 14, 2008 12:45 pm

thanks emma. we are in proses of moving to a larger place where i will be able to set up the special (hopefully) breeding tanks i have designed.
120 gallon with 6 weathers and 8clowbs
15 gallon with 12 kulis
19 other tropical tanks

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed May 14, 2008 12:52 pm

That is good news, loachdad. :D Looking forward to hearing more about your breeding project! Did you ever see this old thread where we found Weather loach fry at one of our shops?: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=6396 It can be done! :wink:

Emma

P.S. Sorry SophieJaynne, for hijacking your thread.
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:30 pm

Batch wrote:
SophieJaynne wrote:
Pepper loaches (Lepidocephalichthys guntea)!

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ph ... age-search

I have 5 of these guys, and (at least to me) they look and act just like
small dojos. They are not shy at all.
(Hmmm, perhaps this is a good excuse to post more pictures).

Batch
I am so glad that you got me straightened out. I got a couple of these, and thought they were weather loaches. They were sold as weather loaches. Mine are a little shyer than my Dojos, but I think that it is because they are newer and not used to me. My peppers hang out with my Cories lounging in a line on a piece of wood. I think you are right. They would probably make a great substitution and their temp requirements are closer to the tropical tank requirements.