Is this Schistura cf. balteata

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

janma

Is this Schistura cf. balteata

Post by janma » Tue May 20, 2008 2:09 pm

A retailer got these and I need an ID. Have I quessed right, Schistura cf. balteata? Click the picture for bigger view.

http://www.akvaariolaakso.fi/catalog/pr ... ts_id=1084
-Janne

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Tue May 20, 2008 2:16 pm

they are Janne, a great loach to have but not very sociable with their own kind, provide loads of hiding places.

mick

janma

Post by janma » Tue May 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Thanks, I'm not sure if I'm getting one but sure is tempting. Stunning colors.

I'm a little conserned about the shrimps but found this, http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... ata+shrimp

Any change of the opinion that these could live with shrimp?
-Janne

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Tue May 20, 2008 3:18 pm

Janne, i would definitely get at least one, as i said they are great little fish, do not bother other occupants of the tank and great little eaters.
it'd be a shame to miss at least one.

mick

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue May 20, 2008 5:50 pm

I think they'd be ok as long as the shrimp are adults. My group were quite peaceful with one another but the tank was so full of rocks it meant they just chose one each to sit under and tended only to come out when food was added to the tank. Like Mick says, they need a hiding place for each fish.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue May 20, 2008 6:53 pm

I have a breeding colony of red crystal shrimp in my river tank, which still houses one (very similar) Schistura balteata. Some of the shrimplets are only milimetres long!

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 21, 2008 3:19 am

I'll get my jacket :P

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Wed May 21, 2008 4:41 am

Hi Janne,

I got 2 to start and later on I added another 2. The group of 4 is occasionally seen sitting together, 2 ore often together. They do defend their rock amongst each other and other fish as well, but no agressive chasing. They sit alot together with Garra Fl.
They do a lot of eye contact with me - nice fish.
They grew already in the small Q-tank, suprisingly fast.
I have some Amano shrimps, no incidents , however the Amanos are grown up.
More risky was to have them in the same tank with I.Werneri-Rainbows (Threadfin). One male is missing the very tip of its lower jaw though - which I´d like to speculate it was amongst the I.W´s males themself, but I don´t know.

S.CF.b. ARE hunters though, they shoot for foot like arrows never miss, and spit it out in case they are already full...but still like to catch the sinking food...

I´ve read about the balteate killing themself, perhaps the CF is a little less agressive? ... just speculating - time will tell. Either way, there is a clear socializing to be observed within their group, they frequently visit each other. In case there is enough space and plenty of hiding and structure, I´d recommend to get 3 or 4.

I added this pic, as it is not a one time occasion but a typical picture, Garras are touching a S.CF.b with their fins and the S.CF.b do not mind, as well as some S.CF.b sitting together. In the q-tank the 2nd CF shipment schooled with the Garras...

Wolfram

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Wed May 21, 2008 7:08 am

Love the pic Wasserscheu !

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Wed May 21, 2008 8:56 am

i'll second what piggy's said,
mine are on a light substrate with fairly bright lights so they always look a rosy/yellow colour.
is yours a dimly lit tank Wolfram or are there a lot of plants in there.
i'll nick Graeme's word, superb pic and fish.

mick

janma

Post by janma » Wed May 21, 2008 3:57 pm

Your great promotion speeches for this fish will cost me at least 15€ :D That's the price for one, I'm considering getting 3. Will have to keep the price a secret from girlfriend. Will getting it/them next week.
-Janne

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Sat May 24, 2008 6:42 am

Sorry about that :wink: However, I never by more than one fish without at least trying to negotiate ... works for both sides once in a while.

You will enjoy those chaps.
Wolfram

janma

Post by janma » Tue May 27, 2008 12:31 am

Ok I ordered 2, they will arrive tomorrow morning. And it happens to be the day I leave for Milan. Well they will have to stay at the LFS until monday.
-Janne

janma

Post by janma » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:22 am

Now I've had these for 6 weeks. Only see them in the evening or at night with a flashlight, do they get more active in daytime when settled in properly? They won't even come out during feeding. They seem to reduce the shrimp population a little, I don't mind it. And they dig huge holes at night. Both have found their own hideouts. Will try to get some pics posted when I manage to get some.
-Janne

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:35 am

Congratulation :!: ... you propably have plenty of hiding holes, so they know they could take off quickly. Together with not too strong light, that´s the only thing I could think of... hmmm...

Now, it´s very hard to write following kind of "esotheric things", but I talk to them gently, I don´t to use words, talk through my eyes, ... , I´ve repeatedly whatched, fish pick up mood, perhaps that´s how they communicate?)

When one of mine entered the connected tank, it was confused and swam in circles around the tank like mad, everytime when out of breath, it stopped directly in front of my face and looked at me like "where am I?" That was kind of touching, being stressed and still trusting...

Perhaps they experienced a lot of stress during their travel and need to chill a bit for a while.

Mine are the most pet-like loaches I have, one or two are always out, close to the front glass, mostly on a lotus leave (rocking in the flow) or on some half-high rock or container, only one (who´s eye degenerated) sits on the ground, the others are never found on ground, always sit a bit higher. They are not camera shy anymore, and let me come very close (the only of my loaches that way).

@Mick, sorry overlooked your question (21.May :? ), I have a very strong planted tank, but most leaves are in the upper third, therefore creating a shade.
Wolfram